Support Questions
Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Alert: Welcome to the Unified Cloudera Community. Former HCC members be sure to read and learn how to activate your account here.

Enable Hive Table Stats in CM 5.4

Enable Hive Table Stats in CM 5.4

Contributor

I'm using CM 5.4.3 on my cluster which is also running Impala. I tried setting up Hive following the documentation here but it doesn't seem to be the recommended way anymore. Cloudera recommends to leverage Impala to enable stats. I want to use the additional functionalities that come with enabling Hive Stats (vectorization etc.). 

The other way is just to enable hive.stats.autogather in the Hive Safety Valve. Will only doing this suffice?

1 REPLY 1
Highlighted

Re: Enable Hive Table Stats in CM 5.4

Master Guru
See http://www.cloudera.com/documentation/enterprise/latest/topics/impala_perf_stats.html#perf_table_sta...

"""
To gather table statistics after loading data into a table or partition, use one of the following techniques:

- Load the data through the INSERT OVERWRITE statement in Hive, while the Hive setting hive.stats.autogather is enabled.
"""

Of note though is that hive.stats.autogather is enabled by default. Is there something you're not observing with the stats feature that's leading you down this investigative path?
Don't have an account?
Coming from Hortonworks? Activate your account here