Support Questions
Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Alert: Welcome to the Unified Cloudera Community. Former HCC members be sure to read and learn how to activate your account here.

Enabling High Availability for YARN

Enabling High Availability for YARN

New Contributor

Hi, 

I am trying to enable high availibilty for YARN service on cloudera and after enabling that I cannot start my job history server and resource manager.

They fail with the following error 

Error starting JobHistoryServer
java.lang.NoSuchMethodError: org.apache.hadoop.util.JvmPauseMonitor: method <init>()V not found
	at org.apache.hadoop.mapreduce.v2.hs.JobHistoryServer.serviceInit(JobHistoryServer.java:150)
	at org.apache.hadoop.service.AbstractService.init(AbstractService.java:163)
	at org.apache.hadoop.mapreduce.v2.hs.JobHistoryServer.launchJobHistoryServer(JobHistoryServer.java:229)
	at org.apache.hadoop.mapreduce.v2.hs.JobHistoryServer.main(JobHistoryServer.java:239)
Error starting ResourceManager
java.lang.NoSuchMethodError: org.apache.hadoop.util.JvmPauseMonitor: method <init>()V not found
	at org.apache.hadoop.yarn.server.resourcemanager.ResourceManager$RMActiveServices.serviceInit(ResourceManager.java:536)
	at org.apache.hadoop.yarn.server.resourcemanager.ResourceManager.createAndInitActiveServices(ResourceManager.java:1051)
	at org.apache.hadoop.yarn.server.resourcemanager.ResourceManager.serviceInit(ResourceManager.java:270)
	at org.apache.hadoop.yarn.server.resourcemanager.ResourceManager.main(ResourceManager.java:1279)

Now I can't disable the high availability and go back to previous state.

Any suggestions on how to fix this.

5 REPLIES 5

Re: Enabling High Availability for YARN

Champion

did you enable it using Cloduera manager or command line ?

is your zookeeper

New Contributor

I am trying to do this with Cloudera Manager Wizard ? 

Champion

Would you mind deleting the Job history server on the failed host and add new one .

because Job history does not maintain any state . 

New Contributor

That's what I ended up doing ultimately which fixed the issue but I was actually hoping to fix the error on the failed job history server itself instead of migrating the roles to a new instance.

Highlighted

Champion

Although ResourceManager HA doesn't affect the JobHistory Server (JHS). if the host fails you can simply assign it to a new host. Job history server does not maintain the state . Hence you deleted and fixed it . just like The statestored and catalogd daemons .