Support Questions
Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise

Enabling Kerberos in HDP 2.5: kerberos_client.py does not exist

I am working to enable Kerberos within the HDP 2.5 sandbox (CentOS 6.8). I setup the (MIT) KDC and am able to start the "Enable Kerberos" process. But when I get to the "Install and Test Kerberos Client" step, I get the following error:

Caught an exception while executing custom service command: <class 'ambari_agent.AgentException.AgentException'>: 'Script /var/lib/ambari-agent/cache/common-services/KERBEROS/1.10.3-10/package/scripts/kerberos_client.py does not exist'; 'Script /var/lib/ambari-agent/cache/common-services/KERBEROS/1.10.3-10/package/scripts/kerberos_client.py does not exist'

All of the required packages are installed (yum install krb5-server krb5-libs krb5-workstation), but I am still missing kerberos_client.py in the path listed above.

Why would the scripts be missing? Does installing the MIT KDC remove (or relocate) these scripts?

Thanks!

25 REPLIES 25

Re: Enabling Kerberos in HDP 2.5: kerberos_client.py does not exist

I reinstalled a new instance of the HDP 2.5 Sandbox (Virtualbox) to check and see if the scripts should be there by default. The scripts are in the new instance of the HDP 2.5 sandbox (so they are there by default).

But, after I run the following scripts to setup the MIT KDC, all of the scripts in the /var/lib/ambari-agent/cache/common-services/KERBEROS/1.10.3-10/package/scripts directory are deleted:

1. yum install krb5-libs
  2. yum install krb5-server
  3. yum install krb5-workstation
  4. kdb5_util create -s
  5. /etc/rc.d/init.d/krb5kdc start
  6. /etc/rc.d/init.d/kadmin start
  7. kadmin.local-q "addprinc admin/admin"
  8. /etc/rc.d/init.d/kadmin restart

I am following the steps in the documentation, so I'm not sure why it would remove these scripts.

@Dan Zaratsian I have /var/lib/ambari-agent/cache/common-services/KERBEROS/1.10.3-10/package/scripts/kerberos_client.py in my HDP 2.5 sandbox. Do you have /var/lib/ambari-server/resources/common-services/KERBEROS/1.10.3-10/package/scripts/kerberos_client.py? If so, can you copy to the specified location and retry?

@slachterman

Thanks for the reply! What I've found is the HDP 2.5 comes with that directory and the correct scripts all installed. But, when I run the commands listed above, the scripts are removed for some reason (I've verified that the scripts are deleted when I select the "Enable Kerberos" button within Ambari). I'm in the processing of running another test...I have backed up the scripts, reran the commands, and am going to manually copy them to that directory and see if it works.

New Contributor

Hey, I am stuck at the same point. the scripts folder is deleted the minute I click on test on "Install and Test Kerberos Client".

I tried manually copying the files to the location, but are cleared everytime.

Do let me know if you found a workaround.

@Narendra Thadani I am still getting the error as well. I manually copied the files to the specified directory. When I use Ambari to install the service, it deletes the .py scripts again and throws an error. I'll post a fix if I figure out the root cause.

Super Guru

@slachterman @Dan Zaratsian I am getting same error. Any ideas?

@Sunile Manjee @Dan Zaratsian the krb5-workstation package contains the OS-specific client libraries. As a workaround in the sandbox VM environment, does unchecking "install OS-specific Kerberos client packages" and "manage Kerberos client krb5.conf" in Ambari result in the same behavior?

I can't reproduce the issue on my 2.5 sandbox VM, and was able to kerberize following the steps in the documentation linked by Dan, unchecking the options noted above.

@slachtermanThanks for the response! I'm hoping to test this out today and will let you know how it goes.

Expert Contributor

@slachterman @Dan Zaratsian,

where do i uncheck

"install OS-specific Kerberos client packages" and "manage Kerberos client krb5.conf" in Amabari ?