Support Questions
Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Alert: Welcome to the Unified Cloudera Community. Former HCC members be sure to read and learn how to activate your account here.

Environment Management for Hadoop Clusters

Highlighted

Environment Management for Hadoop Clusters

New Contributor

Hi,

What would be the strategy / approach for Environment Management for Hadoop clusters? Are there any best practices / recommendations for moving across various stages of a Hadoop cluster setup - from development to testing to pre-deployment and production?

Any pointers please.

Thanks

2 REPLIES 2

Re: Environment Management for Hadoop Clusters

Mentor

In my previous life, i would do the following:

Review release notes, documentation, behavior changes.

1. New release of Ambari and HDP, install a multinode cluster on my desktop using Ambari quick start guide https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/AMBARI/Quick+Start+Guide

2. If i already am running a cluster abd new release is out, test upgrade using quick start guide. (Document all quirks).

3. Install/upgrade my dev physical cluster using same bits. (document all quirks).

4. Open a case with support for FYI. Upgrade production, take all experience from prior into consideration. In case of trouble, call support.

5. Document your experience on HCC.

Re: Environment Management for Hadoop Clusters

New Contributor

@Artem Ervits I was looking from a slightly different perspective - Not only from setting up the cluster bits, but also managing the code, configurations etc across environments. Just to summarise, is there any best practice / recommendation from Hortonworks on how to ensure the environments are inline with customer expectations across development, testing, pre-production and production from cluster hardware / application code / service configuration etc perspectives.

Don't have an account?
Coming from Hortonworks? Activate your account here