Support Questions
Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Alert: Welcome to the Unified Cloudera Community. Former HCC members be sure to read and learn how to activate your account here.

Error: A package was not selected.

Highlighted

Error: A package was not selected.

Explorer

I have a brand new 5.12.0 installation with 2 hosts which I intended to be an HDFS namenode and HDFS datanode for testing purposes. I was going through the initial setup wizard, got my agents installed and parcels distributed, host inspector finds no issues what-so-ever and no matter what option I select on the Cluster Setup page (I tried Core Hadoop and Custom Services with just HDFS) when I click Continue I get an error dialog that says "A package was not selected.". There's nowhere to select a package. I checked the server and agent logs and there was nothing there either. Help, please.

It should be noted that I'm using Oracle Java 8u121 but I don't see why that would cause the issue.

5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted

Re: Error: A package was not selected.

Explorer

I went to the Cloudera Manager home page and my cluster was existing with no services so I tried to add HDFS as a service which also failed and may be related to the problem in the wizard. Here is the full error:

2017-08-04 20:14:33,879 INFO 1068533375@scm-web-39:com.cloudera.server.web.common.ExceptionReport: Exception report generated accessing http://10.0.8.4:7180/cmf/clusters/1/add-service/roleAssignments
java.lang.NullPointerException
	at com.cloudera.server.cmf.cluster.RulesCluster.createServicesIfNeeded(RulesCluster.java:389)
	at com.cloudera.server.cmf.cluster.RulesCluster.doRoleAssignment(RulesCluster.java:264)
	at com.cloudera.server.cmf.cluster.RulesCluster.computeServiceRoleHostMap(RulesCluster.java:358)
	at com.cloudera.server.web.cmf.wizard.service.AddServiceWizardController2.buildRoleAssignmentsData(AddServiceWizardController2.java:340)
	at com.cloudera.server.web.cmf.wizard.service.AddServiceWizardController2.renderAssignmentsStep(AddServiceWizardController2.java:274)
	at com.cloudera.server.web.cmf.wizard.service.AddServiceWizardController2$$FastClassByCGLIB$$d99fd210.invoke(<generated>)
	at net.sf.cglib.proxy.MethodProxy.invoke(MethodProxy.java:191)
	at org.springframework.aop.framework.Cglib2AopProxy$CglibMethodInvocation.invokeJoinpoint(Cglib2AopProxy.java:688)
	at org.springframework.aop.framework.ReflectiveMethodInvocation.proceed(ReflectiveMethodInvocation.java:150)
	at org.springframework.security.access.intercept.aopalliance.MethodSecurityInterceptor.invoke(MethodSecurityInterceptor.java:61)
	at org.springframework.aop.framework.ReflectiveMethodInvocation.proceed(ReflectiveMethodInvocation.java:172)
	at org.springframework.aop.framework.Cglib2AopProxy$DynamicAdvisedInterceptor.intercept(Cglib2AopProxy.java:621)
	at com.cloudera.server.web.cmf.wizard.service.AddServiceWizardController2$$EnhancerByCGLIB$$c71b872f.renderAssignmentsStep(<generated>)
	at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
	at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:62)
	at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:43)
	at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:498)
	at org.springframework.web.bind.annotation.support.HandlerMethodInvoker.invokeHandlerMethod(HandlerMethodInvoker.java:176)
	at org.springframework.web.servlet.mvc.annotation.AnnotationMethodHandlerAdapter.invokeHandlerMethod(AnnotationMethodHandlerAdapter.java:436)
	at org.springframework.web.servlet.mvc.annotation.AnnotationMethodHandlerAdapter.handle(AnnotationMethodHandlerAdapter.java:424)
	at org.springframework.web.servlet.DispatcherServlet.doDispatch(DispatcherServlet.java:790)
	at org.springframework.web.servlet.DispatcherServlet.doService(DispatcherServlet.java:719)
	at org.springframework.web.servlet.FrameworkServlet.processRequest(FrameworkServlet.java:669)
	at org.springframework.web.servlet.FrameworkServlet.doGet(FrameworkServlet.java:574)
	at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:707)
	at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:820)
	at org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.ServletHolder.handle(ServletHolder.java:511)
	at org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler$CachedChain.doFilter(ServletHandler.java:1221)
	at org.mortbay.servlet.UserAgentFilter.doFilter(UserAgentFilter.java:78)
	at org.mortbay.servlet.GzipFilter.doFilter(GzipFilter.java:131)
	at org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler$CachedChain.doFilter(ServletHandler.java:1212)
	at com.jamonapi.http.JAMonServletFilter.doFilter(JAMonServletFilter.java:48)
	at org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler$CachedChain.doFilter(ServletHandler.java:1212)
	at com.cloudera.enterprise.JavaMelodyFacade$MonitoringFilter.doFilter(JavaMelodyFacade.java:109)
	at org.springframework.security.web.FilterChainProxy$VirtualFilterChain.doFilter(FilterChainProxy.java:311)
	at org.springframework.security.web.access.intercept.FilterSecurityInterceptor.invoke(FilterSecurityInterceptor.java:116)
	at org.springframework.security.web.access.intercept.FilterSecurityInterceptor.doFilter(FilterSecurityInterceptor.java:83)
	at org.springframework.security.web.FilterChainProxy$VirtualFilterChain.doFilter(FilterChainProxy.java:323)
	at org.springframework.security.web.access.ExceptionTranslationFilter.doFilter(ExceptionTranslationFilter.java:113)
	at org.springframework.security.web.FilterChainProxy$VirtualFilterChain.doFilter(FilterChainProxy.java:323)
	at org.springframework.security.web.session.SessionManagementFilter.doFilter(SessionManagementFilter.java:101)
	at org.springframework.security.web.authentication.AnonymousAuthenticationFilter.doFilter(AnonymousAuthenticationFilter.java:113)
	at org.springframework.security.web.authentication.rememberme.RememberMeAuthenticationFilter.doFilter(RememberMeAuthenticationFilter.java:139)
	at org.springframework.security.web.servletapi.SecurityContextHolderAwareRequestFilter.doFilter(SecurityContextHolderAwareRequestFilter.java:54)
	at org.springframework.security.web.savedrequest.RequestCacheAwareFilter.doFilter(RequestCacheAwareFilter.java:45)
	at org.springframework.security.web.authentication.AbstractAuthenticationProcessingFilter.doFilter(AbstractAuthenticationProcessingFilter.java:182)
	at org.springframework.security.web.authentication.logout.LogoutFilter.doFilter(LogoutFilter.java:105)
	at org.springframework.security.web.context.SecurityContextPersistenceFilter.doFilter(SecurityContextPersistenceFilter.java:87)
	at org.springframework.security.web.session.ConcurrentSessionFilter.doFilter(ConcurrentSessionFilter.java:125)
	at org.springframework.security.web.FilterChainProxy.doFilter(FilterChainProxy.java:173)
	at org.springframework.web.filter.DelegatingFilterProxy.invokeDelegate(DelegatingFilterProxy.java:237)
	at org.springframework.web.filter.DelegatingFilterProxy.doFilter(DelegatingFilterProxy.java:167)
	at org.springframework.web.filter.CharacterEncodingFilter.doFilterInternal(CharacterEncodingFilter.java:88)
	at org.springframework.web.filter.OncePerRequestFilter.doFilter(OncePerRequestFilter.java:76)
	at org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler.handle(ServletHandler.java:399)
	at org.mortbay.jetty.security.SecurityHandler.handle(SecurityHandler.java:216)
	at org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.SessionHandler.handle(SessionHandler.java:182)
	at org.mortbay.jetty.security.SecurityHandler.handle(SecurityHandler.java:216)
	at org.mortbay.jetty.handler.ContextHandler.handle(ContextHandler.java:767)
	at org.mortbay.jetty.webapp.WebAppContext.handle(WebAppContext.java:450)
	at org.mortbay.jetty.handler.HandlerWrapper.handle(HandlerWrapper.java:152)
	at org.mortbay.jetty.handler.StatisticsHandler.handle(StatisticsHandler.java:53)
	at org.mortbay.jetty.handler.HandlerWrapper.handle(HandlerWrapper.java:152)
	at org.mortbay.jetty.Server.handle(Server.java:326)
	at org.mortbay.jetty.HttpConnection.handleRequest(HttpConnection.java:542)
	at org.mortbay.jetty.HttpConnection$RequestHandler.headerComplete(HttpConnection.java:928)
	at org.mortbay.jetty.HttpParser.parseNext(HttpParser.java:549)
	at org.mortbay.jetty.HttpParser.parseAvailable(HttpParser.java:212)
	at org.mortbay.jetty.HttpConnection.handle(HttpConnection.java:404)
	at org.mortbay.io.nio.SelectChannelEndPoint.run(SelectChannelEndPoint.java:410)
	at org.mortbay.thread.QueuedThreadPool$PoolThread.run(QueuedThreadPool.java:582)
Highlighted

Explorer

Please note that I tried the JDK (7u67) included in the Cloudera RPM repository on a brand new installation and the issue persists.

Highlighted

Explorer
Did another brand new installation this time downgrading to v5.10.1 for cloudera manager and agent, using Oracle JDK 8u121 again and I'm able to provision services now. So what broke in 5.11.x and 5.12.x?
Highlighted

New Contributor

I'm seeing the exact same behavior you are describing for 5.5.2. Manually installed jdk. Postgres portable cm database. Installation via yum.

Did you ever figure out the cause? Any help from cloudera on this or am I forced into a place where I must rebuild these machines

Highlighted

New Contributor

I have a funny story to share. I search for the exception on google.

This page written in chinese shows up as the SECOND result:

http://blog.csdn.net/lxpbs8851/article/details/73475188

Translating to english, at the bottom:

Solution:

Replace the browser 

or 

Clear the current browser cache

Indeed this is the fix!

Don't have an account?
Coming from Hortonworks? Activate your account here