Support Questions
Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Alert: Welcome to the Unified Cloudera Community. Former HCC members be sure to read and learn how to activate your account here.

Error while reading existing table and creating a new table stored as parquet

Error while reading existing table and creating a new table stored as parquet

New Contributor

While running the query : 

drop table example;
create table example
stored as parquet
location '/example/example1'
TBLPROPERTIES('serialization.null.format'='')
as
select * from ex1

I get the following error : 

Error while processing statement: FAILED: Execution Error, return code 2 from org.apache.hadoop.hive.ql.exec.mr.MapRedTask

I checked for folder access issues but the destination location has all permissions. What can be the issue other than this ? Is it due the huge size (600gb) of table ex1?

3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted

Re: Error while reading existing table and creating a new table stored as parquet

Contributor
Currently, for PARQUET files, I do not believe we support the property 'serialization.null.format'. So it will be ignored. Do you happen to have the exception from the log? how long did it run before it failed?

Re: Error while reading existing table and creating a new table stored as parquet

New Contributor

Hi the only exception present in the log too is the one I've posted above.

The query runs for about 10.5 minutes before failing.

Is there a limitation on the size of the of the table being converted or stored as parquet?

Because when I limit down the number of rows this query seems to be working fine.

Champion

Can you check your log once again and confirm it has any statement as follows?

Container killed on request. Exit code is 143