Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

Facing issue in installation of HDP sandbox 2.6.1

Hi I have downloaded HDP 2.6.1 sandbox.installing it in vmware workstation .

But it got stuck and not moving ahead after "Started cleanup temp directories"

My system configuration is windows os i3 and 8GB RAM.

When I had started installing in vm ware it was giving Linux installation options.

I am new to this hortonworks tech .can anybody help me to resolve this issue?

35 REPLIES 35

Attached screenshot of network setup network.png

Attached screenshot of network setup network.png

Master Mentor

@pooja shrivastava

Can you switch to Bridged mode replicates another node on the physical network and your VM will receive it's own IP address if DHCP is enabled in the network.

And make sure your host (laptop/desktop) has enabled virtualization in the BIOS.

@Geoffrey Shelton Okot I have followed instructions mentioned in the site how to install hortonworks.there they have mentioned have to select host only yo install it.

Master Mentor

@pooja shrivastava

As stated by @Jay SenSharma ( GB isn't enough for both the HDP components and the OS /virtualbox. You will need at least 12 GB but 16 GB would be great to have and depending on your laptop again don't forget to check the BIO and enable virtualization otherwise your sandbox will NEVER boot up !

@Jay SenSharma

now this time Iam using 16 GB RAM .while installing HDP kernal arming stsyem got failed.. got the message like "failed to start crash recovery kernel arming"

see systemctl status kdump.service for more details.

Will this failure impact anything ? should I continue the installation or stop?

Master Mentor

@pooja shrivastava

The following error indicates the OS kernel level failure:

failed to start crash recovery kernel arming

So for further troubleshooting you might want to enable the kdump service to capture the cause of failure.

systemctl status kdump.service

However it will be best to check the following :

1. Please check the Sandbox Image MD5sum result to be sure that the Sandbox image is not corrupt and downloaded correctly. https://hortonworks.com/downloads/#sandbox

2. Try reimporting the HDP sandbox image to your virtual box freshly.

@Jay SenSharma I am able to install HDP using virtualbox sandbox.but this time facing issue to connect it with ip address of this machine.able to connect it with localhost:8888.Can you please tell me what changes has to made to connect with ip address.?

Master Mentor

@pooja shrivastava

Looks like 8888 port is not accessible outside sandbox which should not happen. So we can do the following testing to check few things:

0. Are you able to access the Web Terminal?

http://localhost:4200

1. Login to Sandbox and check if the port 8888 is actually opened.

# ssh root@127.0.0.1  -p 2222
      Enter password: hadoop
    # netstat -tnlpa | grep 8888

2. Also please check the default "/etc/hosts" inside the sandbox which usually looks like something as following if you have not modified it. "below is output from my HDP 2.6" sandbox.

[root@sandbox ~]# cat /etc/hosts
    127.0.0.1    localhost
    ::1    localhost ip6-localhost ip6-loopback
    fe00::0    ip6-localnet
    ff00::0    ip6-mcastprefix
    ff02::1    ip6-allnodes
    ff02::2    ip6-allrouters
    172.17.0.2    sandbox.hortonworks.com sandbox

3. If we see that the port is opened then we will need to check if by default Firewall is not causing any issue:

# service iptables status
    # service iptables stop

4. Next we will check if the Port forwarding is correct and the 8888 port is unblocked and allows port forwarding. Please see the below link for port forwarding configuration and validation: https://community.hortonworks.com/articles/65914/how-to-add-ports-to-the-hdp-25-virtualbox-sandbox.h...

5. Still if you face any issue then try restarting the HDP Sandbox and then try again.

6. If the issue still occurs then try re importing the HDP sandbox images and then try again.

Reference: For step by step Sandbox installation the following link is useful: https://hortonworks.com/hadoop-tutorial/learning-the-ropes-of-the-hortonworks-sandbox/

New Contributor

@pooja shrivastava : Have you been able to resolve this issue. I am facing the exact same issue on Win-10 machine. pl share your inputs