Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

Fail to load data from HDFS into Apachi Hive

Hi All,

After I tried to load data from a file in HDFS into Hive, I ran into a permission error as show below. Could you please help to let me know what I did wrong? 

Thank you, 

1) I uploaded a csv file: EMP.csv from my laptop into HDFS folder: /user/admin using admin credential.

2) I use Data Analytic studio to load the csv file into an external table in Hive using the code below:

CREATE EXTERNAL TABLE IF NOT EXISTS emp(
EmployeeID STRING,
FirstName STRING,
LastName STRING,
Email STRING,
PhoneNumber STRING,
HireDate STRING,
JobID STRING,
Salary STRING,
ManagerID STRING,
DepartmentID STRING
)
COMMENT 'My first Hive table'
ROW FORMAT DELIMITED FIELDS TERMINATED BY ','
STORED AS TEXTFILE
LOCATION '/user/admin/EMP.csv'
;

Here is the error:

"org.apache.hive.service.cli.HiveSQLException: Error while compiling statement: FAILED: HiveAccessControlException Permission denied: user [hive] does not have [ALL] privilege on [hdfs://sandbox-hdp.hortonworks.com:8020/user/admin/EMP.csv]"

5 REPLIES 5

Expert Contributor

Hello

a quick fix is to put the csv file under the hive folder instead of the admin folder

Hi Xue,

Thanks for replying my question. After I have tried the solution, I ran into another security issue as show in the screen shot.

TDStephanieSoft_0-1618806492794.png

I have tried the HDP_2.6.5. Everything works just fine and the Ambari user interface is more easier to use. 

Thanks again,

Expert Contributor

Hello 

A quick fix is to use hive user not admin user

Expert Contributor

@TDStephanieSoft  If you are using Ranger kindly check if you have necessary permission for hive user in the HDFS policy for the path '/user/admin/EMP.csv'. Also check whether the hive use has read, write and execute permission in the HDFS location '/user/admin/EMP.csv'

Thanks! 

After I have checked the permission in Ranger, I noticed that there isn't any policy setup for hive user. I did add a policy to allow access to the folder /user/admin in HDFS to hive user. The problem is I cannot save the new policy due to another security error as show below. 

I wonder if the Hortonworks Sandbox HDP 3.0 that I downloaded is working version 😞

TDStephanieSoft_0-1618847876296.png