Support Questions
Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Alert: Welcome to the Unified Cloudera Community. Former HCC members be sure to read and learn how to activate your account here.

Failed to format namenode

Highlighted

Failed to format namenode

New Contributor

Hi,

I'm a newcommer. 

When I first added HDFS to my cluster, "Failed to format namenode" error occured. For details, cloudera can not find information in /var/log/hadoop-hdfs/hadoop-cmf-hdfs-NAMENODE-redhat-test-02.log.out. I also cannot find this file in this folder. Does anyone know the solution? Thank you!

Best,

Lyuwei

4 REPLIES 4

Re: Failed to format namenode

Community Manager

I'll let others who are more well versed than me respond, but in the meantime, perhaps this thread will be of assistance. 

Failed to format NameNode. Program: hdfs/hdfs.sh

Cy Jervis, Community Manager

Was your question answered? Make sure to mark the answer as the accepted solution.
If you find a reply useful, say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up button.

Learn more about the Cloudera Community:
Community Guidelines
How to use the forum
Highlighted

Expert Contributor

Hello Lyuwei,

At first look, it seems to be a permission issue. Can you please check if /var/log/hadoop-hdfs as writable access for hdfs? Also, check & share permission for name node meta directory (i.e. value of dfs.namenode.name.dir).

Warm Regards.

Highlighted

New Contributor

How do you do that?

Highlighted

Super Guru

@Alec,

This is a very old thread. 

I recommend you start a thread and explain what you are doing and what problem you encounter.  Please include a screen shot of the error if you are seeing something similar so we can understand more clearly how to assist.

Don't have an account?
Coming from Hortonworks? Activate your account here