Support Questions
Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Alert: Welcome to the Unified Cloudera Community. Former HCC members be sure to read and learn how to activate your account here.

Falcon deprecated as of HDP 2.6.0 ?

Highlighted

Falcon deprecated as of HDP 2.6.0 ?

New Contributor

Documentation for HDP 2.6.0 was recently posted, and Falcon is marked as deprecated as of 2.6.0 with 3.0.0 listed as the Target Version for Removal:

link to deprecation notice in release notes

14369-falcondeprecated.png

There are no comments indicating where Falcon's functionality is moving, so I'm wondering what are the plans for Falcon's functionality?...

5 REPLIES 5

Re: Falcon deprecated as of HDP 2.6.0 ?

New Contributor

Falcon is deprecated in HDP 2.6, however, still available until we remove it from HDP 3.0. We have a future product in works. If you are an existing HDP customer, please reach out to your account team and we can share more details.

New Contributor

I'll reach out to my account team, but it still seems odd to announce a component as deprecated when you can't point to an announced product that will be taking on its functionality. The whole point of deprecating is normally to give folks a heads-up they should start moving to the replacement....

Expert Contributor

Vincent, did you ever get an answer as to what the replacement is? Thanks!

Cloudera Employee

New Contributor

In a nutshell, few were using it, and it really was just a bit easier-to-use skin over other tools (primarily Oozie); and as they attempted to add features, it was looking more like the underlying tools, so....

It will be interesting to see how the marketing/messaging shifts over the coming months. This related question and answer seems to suggest Atlas isn't going anywhere, and it seems Atlas and Oozie were the primary underpinnings of Falcon (I think): https://community.hortonworks.com/questions/97570/apache-falcon-in-hdp-30.html