Support Questions
Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Alert: Welcome to the Unified Cloudera Community. Former HCC members be sure to read and learn how to activate your account here.

Getting error from sqoop 1.4.5 import into hive 1.1 from mysql with CDH 5.3.2

Getting error from sqoop 1.4.5 import into hive 1.1 from mysql with CDH 5.3.2

Contributor

I get the following error:

15/03/27 23:00:00 INFO hive.HiveImport: Loading data to table dualcore.employees

15/03/27 23:00:02 INFO hive.HiveImport: Failed with exception Unable to alter table. Invalid method name: 'alter_table_with_cascade'

15/03/27 23:00:02 INFO hive.HiveImport: FAILED: Execution Error, return code 1 from org.apache.hadoop.hive.ql.exec.MoveTask

15/03/27 23:00:02 INFO hive.HiveImport: [Thread-7] INFO org.apache.zookeeper.ZooKeeper - Session: 0x14c534846271c99 closed

15/03/27 23:00:02 INFO hive.HiveImport: [main-EventThread] INFO org.apache.zookeeper.ClientCnxn - EventThread shut down

15/03/27 23:00:02 ERROR tool.ImportTool: Encountered IOException running import job: java.io.IOException: Hive exited with status 1

at org.apache.sqoop.hive.HiveImport.executeExternalHiveScript(HiveImport.java:385)

at org.apache.sqoop.hive.HiveImport.executeScript(HiveImport.java:335)

at org.apache.sqoop.hive.HiveImport.importTable(HiveImport.java:239)

at org.apache.sqoop.tool.ImportTool.importTable(ImportTool.java:511)

at org.apache.sqoop.tool.ImportTool.run(ImportTool.java:601)

at org.apache.sqoop.Sqoop.run(Sqoop.java:143)

at org.apache.hadoop.util.ToolRunner.run(ToolRunner.java:70)

at org.apache.sqoop.Sqoop.runSqoop(Sqoop.java:179)

at org.apache.sqoop.Sqoop.runTool(Sqoop.java:218)

at org.apache.sqoop.Sqoop.runTool(Sqoop.java:227)

at org.apache.sqoop.Sqoop.main(Sqoop.java:236)

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Getting error from sqoop 1.4.5 import into hive 1.1 from mysql with CDH 5.3.2

Expert Contributor
There should be more information in the task/attempt logs and if you provide the "--verbose" option. My best guess is that it's a permissions issue.

Re: Getting error from sqoop 1.4.5 import into hive 1.1 from mysql with CDH 5.3.2

Contributor

The import seems to work fine in that the data appears in Hive/HDFS, I just get the error after the MapReduce activity near the end of the completion of the sqoop process.  Where are the task/attempt logs located?  Also is the --verbose parameter part of the JVM options?  Thanks

Highlighted

Expert Contributor
Ah yes, I'm sorry about that.

Have you tried using the Sqoop codeget tool to see the result HQL? You can run the HQL and dig deeper into the root of the problem?