Support Questions
Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Alert: Welcome to the Unified Cloudera Community. Former HCC members be sure to read and learn how to activate your account here.

HA blueprint specific queries

HA blueprint specific queries

New Contributor

Hello all,

My questions are related to HA blueprints. Suppose I have a 2 master/1 worker setup on AWS/Azure. Now one of my master is down/faulty and I want to add a new master(master3) to existing cluster.

Also, I want to remove the faulty/unhealthy master(master1) from the cluster.

While instantiating the cluster, I had used the HA blueprint with 2 hostgroups (master1 and master2) with their set of components/services.

Now if I say spawn master3 node on cloud platform which has all the required accesses to the existing cluster. Will the following approach work for getting a HA enabled healthy cluster with new master3?

1. I get the cluster name using Ambari APIs.
  2. Create a host_mapping.json with host-group as master1(since master1 is faulty) and use blueprint API to register new master3.

Will Ambari take care of the installing and starting the components/services and also rebalance the cluster with HA settings?

Is there anything other approach using which I can achieve the HA again? OR

Will the re-configuration of all the components in HA be handled outside the ambari's scope?

Please let me know your views. I have limited exposure to ambari at this time so feel free to correct me or atleast give some pointers.

2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted

Re: HA blueprint specific queries

As the blueprints focus heavily on the host_groups concept which usually means some highly specialized master setups and then a more generic worker model, I feel that using blueprints beyond the initial cluster layout really works best for when you are adding more workers. My INITIAL recommendation (I'm arm-chair QBing this w/o all the details) would be to simple go to Ambari's UI and add a new host via the wizard process and then assign whatever master and worker processes you need.

Re: HA blueprint specific queries

New Contributor

Thanks for the reply @Lester Martin. Will the blueprint take care of setting up/re-configure component level HA with this new node?

In my scenario, I am setting up cluster using the HDP's ansible repo. I plan to add new node using the same mechanism where I can get the VMs in the existing cluster with active master (as user's input) and make sure this new node is added to the cluster via Ansible