Support Questions
Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Alert: Welcome to the Unified Cloudera Community. Former HCC members be sure to read and learn how to activate your account here.

HA namenode + oozie workflow.xml gives "Operation category READ is not supported in state standby",

Highlighted

HA namenode + oozie workflow.xml gives "Operation category READ is not supported in state standby",

New Contributor

I'm submitted a workflow via curl to my oozie URL: http://cluster.url.com:11000/oozie/v1/jobs?action=start (this URL is currently the active NN) and it works as it returns a job ID.

This is the command that I use:

curl -X POST -H "content-type: application/xml;charset=UTF-8" -d @confighd.xml "http://cluster.url.com:11000/oozie/v1/jobs?action=start"

Where it doesn't work is at the oozie web-ui page, where, once it gets to the third step, it is always stuck at "START_RETRY" with an error message saying:

JA009: Operation category READ is not supported in state standby    at org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.namenode.ha.StandbyState.checkOperation(StandbyState.java:87)    at org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.namenode.NameNode$NameNodeHAContext.checkOperation(NameNode.java:1932)    at org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.namenode.FSNamesystem.checkOperation(FSNamesystem.java:1313)    at org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.namenode.FSNamesystem.getFileInfo(FSNamesystem.java:3861)    at org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.namenode.Name

Here is a screen shot of my oozie error:

8805-pigerror.png

I believe that this is a HA namenode problem. Here is my workflow.xml:

https://paste.debian.net/889220/

I've a feeling I am missing the information of the secondary namenode:

<name>name-node</name> <value>hdfs://hd000-hdfs</value>

the "hdfs://hd000-hdfs" which I got from "/etc/hadoop/conf/core-site.xml" of the "fs.defaultFS".

1. Am I missing any more values such as jobTracker?

2. Is my workflow.xml correct?

5 REPLIES 5

Re: HA namenode + oozie workflow.xml gives "Operation category READ is not supported in state standby",

Hi @Charles Adebayo,

This error means that the name-node property you gave in the workflow is not properly pointing to the NameNode HA service. If you look through Ambari, and HDFS configuration, you should be able to find this information (in general it corresponds to the cluster's name).

The workflow you give is just a subset, is it possible to see the full workflow and in particular your properties where you set the name node value?

Also if it can help:

https://community.hortonworks.com/questions/47521/hi-guys-i-am-trying-to-execute-oozie-workflow-but....

Hope this helps,

Pierre

Re: HA namenode + oozie workflow.xml gives "Operation category READ is not supported in state standby",

New Contributor

@pierre Villard,

Thanks for your reply. The .xml was taken out of a program where the workflow submission was happening and I dont have the full one (though I am sure what I have works) because I have put it in one of our other clusters (which does NOT have HA name nodes) via a similar command:

curl -X POST -H "content-type: application/xml;charset=UTF-8" -d @config.xml "http://dp000.secondarycluster.com:11000/oozie/v1/jobs?action=start"                                                           
{"id":"0000131-160718164105497-oozie-oozi-W"}

And with that, I get a "RUNNING" status:

8809-dp000itworksedit.png

I thought I did provide the namenode, with the value of "hdfs://hd000-hdfs". If this is the wrong field, where in the hadoop config can I look to get the generic name which supports both namenodes?

So far I have only found this name node, I have not actually included in the .xml as I am not sure where it will go. Could you perhaps provide me with an example configuration that supports the namenode field?

Right now, we are not using job.properties, from the looks of the code, it is a simple .xml configuration and and a CURL request.

It should be OK with the name you provided, however the error makes me think that the value is not correctly passed to the different actions of your workflow. Could you check job definition / job configuration / action configuration tabs in Oozie UI to confirm that the value is correctly set?

New Contributor

@Pierre Villard,

What I am not sure actually, is how to pass the value in my .xml file, could you give a few pointers? My oozie does not make any mention of those values.

In the pastebin you gave, there is a property

oozie.wf.application.path

This is the path to the directory containing the workflow.xml file describing your workflow. In this file, you will find the description of each action of your workflow. Each action is expecting the name node (it can be defined at a global level though) value. By looking at the workflow.xml file you can see if your application is expecting a specific property name/value to override what is in your workflow definition. For example, if in the workflow you may see:

<name-node>${nameNode}</name-node>

In this case, you may want to add a property:

<property>
    <name>nameNode</name>
    <value>hdfs://hd000-hdfs</value>
</property>

Hope this helps.