Support Questions
Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Alert: Welcome to the Unified Cloudera Community. Former HCC members be sure to read and learn how to activate your account here.

HBase fails to start with permission issue

HBase fails to start with permission issue

Hi, I have recently tried to deploy Ranger within my cluster. Since then, HBase has failed to start.

I followed this guide https://hortonworks.com/blog/best-practices-in-hdfs-authorization-with-apache-ranger/ when configuring HDFS for Ranger to take over access. However, when I attempt to start HBase since doing so, I find messages such as this in the logs:

2018-11-30 12:18:34,620 ERROR [master/hdpc-zookeeper01:16000] master.HMaster: ***** ABORTING master hdpc-zookeeper01,16000,1543540709948: Unhandled exception. Starting shutdown. *****Caused by: org.apache.hadoop.ipc.RemoteException(org.apache.hadoop.security.AccessControlException): Permission denied: user=hbase, access=EXECUTE, inode="/apps":hdfs:hdfs:d---------

I presume that the hbase user needs to be configured in Ranger to allow access to /apps in HDFS. I tried doing so, and some errors went away, however it now stops further along trying to execute in a subfolder in /apps. I applied the Ranger policy as recursive, so it should cover this, but it does not.

Further, the best practises article does not describe policy creation for HBase/Hive etc to access HDFS in Ranger. Is there any documentation available on this?

Thanks,

Don't have an account?
Coming from Hortonworks? Activate your account here