Support Questions
Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Alert: Welcome to the Unified Cloudera Community. Former HCC members be sure to read and learn how to activate your account here.

HBase vs Marklogic - Whats the right fit?

HBase vs Marklogic - Whats the right fit?

Contributor

What are the right fit use cases for HBase and Marklogic? As Hortonworks supports both, when to use what as they are competing technologies although Marklogic has more features than HBase.

Whats that Hbase can do that ML cannot?

5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted

Re: HBase vs Marklogic - Whats the right fit?

Hello

I don't think Hortonworks supports Marklogic. Maybe you mean more of a certified tech partner of sorts. Back to your question if we leave aside the opensource and proximity to Hadoop that is spart of Hbase. Marklogic is more a document store where Hbase is a key value NoSql database. On the dev side Hbase is written in Java and Marklogic in C++. I'm not sure Hbase and Marklogic would compete though, but this could depend on your use case.

Contributor

Thanks. Marklogic may not store it as key-value but it can still store the text with indices on the keys and achieve the same that HBase capabilities. This is where i am not clear about the fit for HBase and Marklogic.

New Contributor

MarkLogic is a commercial NoSql DB, it is not open sourced and exists much longer than HBase. in its Website, it claims to have over 550 customers. I believe HBase has more customers even it has a simpler data model.

http://db-engines.com/en/system/HBase%3BMarkLogic has some high-level comparison. Hope this gives you a starting point to look at.

Contributor

Thanks. I had seen this link but still not clear when to choose what especially when the client has invested in ML and trying to understand what is that HBase can solve that Marklogic cannot.

Contributor

Whats that Hbase can do that ML cannot?

• Scales to 1000s of nodes.
  • Part of Hadoop stack with all bells and whistles (data sink and data source for Spark, Storm, Pig, Hive etc)
  • 100% open source

First of all, if customer is happy with ML, there is no need to push HBase, otherwise you should ask them what problem they try to solve, which does not fit ML well and post their use case here - we will figure out if it is a good fit for HBase.