Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

HDFS Federation is officially supported by hortonworks?

Expert Contributor

We want to create a data lake with HDFS Federated Namenode & multiple namespaces of clients.

1) Is this possible using HDFS federated namenode?

2) Is HDFS Federation officially supported by hortonworks if licensing are in-place?

Kindly do the needful & Help.@Kuldeep Kulkarni Rahul Pathak

Best Regards,

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Contributor

I echo what has been said already. From Hortonworks Product Mgmt perspective, I'm monitoring this feature (no firm decision yet). The current state is that Federation code is our HDP release, however, we don't have support in Ambari or Hive to make sure Hortonworks can officially support this feature yet. We are getting some queries from customers, along the use case that you mentioned and we need to have a critical mass to move the priority. If any of your customers need it, please feel free to respond to any of our threads with the use case (plus desired Ambari+Hive support).

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Master Mentor

Hortonworks doesn't support HDFS federation. It's a community feature we did not port to HDP.

Expert Contributor

@Artem Ervits , thanks for the answer.

Super Guru

@hardik desai

Just to add to Artem's answer, yes what you are trying to do is possible with HDFS federation but like Artem said, it's not supported. What is your motivation of doing it? Do you really have multiple PBs of data where you will have 1000's of nodes and your namenode wil not be able to handle the cluster? If not, then federation is not the right way to implement multi tenancy.

Master Mentor

@hardik desai please accept one of the answers to close the thread.

Contributor

I echo what has been said already. From Hortonworks Product Mgmt perspective, I'm monitoring this feature (no firm decision yet). The current state is that Federation code is our HDP release, however, we don't have support in Ambari or Hive to make sure Hortonworks can officially support this feature yet. We are getting some queries from customers, along the use case that you mentioned and we need to have a critical mass to move the priority. If any of your customers need it, please feel free to respond to any of our threads with the use case (plus desired Ambari+Hive support).