Support Questions
Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Alert: Welcome to the Unified Cloudera Community. Former HCC members be sure to read and learn how to activate your account here.

HDFS delete command results in: ArrayIndexOutOfBoundsException and “RemoteException in offerService”

Highlighted

HDFS delete command results in: ArrayIndexOutOfBoundsException and “RemoteException in offerService”

New Contributor

I notice that HDFS delete commands will randomly fail. For example, in a MapReduce job I delete a directory at startup. Occasionally it fails with the error below, but will succeed on the second try.

org.apache.hadoop.ipc.RemoteException(java.lang.ArrayIndexOutOfBoundsException): java.lang.ArrayIndexOutOfBoundsException
at org.apache.hadoop.ipc.Client.call(Client.java:1364)
at org.apache.hadoop.ipc.Client.call(Client.java:1411)
at org.apache.hadoop.ipc.ProtobufRpcEngine$Invoker.invoke(ProtobufRpcEngine.java:206)
at com.sun.proxy.$Proxy14.delete(Unknown Source)
at org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.protocolPB.ClientNamenodeProtocolTranslatorPB.delete(ClientNamenodeProtocolTranslatorPB.java:513)
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:57)
at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:43)
at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:606)
at org.apache.hadoop.io.retry.RetryInvocationHandler.invokeMethod(RetryInvocationHandler.java:187)
at org.apache.hadoop.io.retry.RetryInvocationHandler.invoke(RetryInvocationHandler.java:102)
at com.sun.proxy.$Proxy15.delete(Unknown Source)
at org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.DFSClient.delete(DFSClient.java:1862)
at org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.DistributedFileSystem$11.doCall(DistributedFileSystem.java:599)
at org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.DistributedFileSystem$11.doCall(DistributedFileSystem.java:595)
at org.apache.hadoop.fs.FileSystemLinkResolver.resolve(FileSystemLinkResolver.java:81)
at org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.DistributedFileSystem.delete(DistributedFileSystem.java:595)
at com.bungie.badoop.BadoopJobBase.Run(BadoopJobBase.java:51)
at com.bungie.badoop.userresearch.UrAttributeJob.main(UrAttributeJob.java:19)
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:57)
at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:43)
at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:606)
at org.apache.hadoop.util.RunJar.main(RunJar.java:212)

Digging into the datanode logs I see this exception:

RemoteException in offerService
org.apache.hadoop.ipc.RemoteException(java.lang.NullPointerException): java.lang.NullPointerException
at org.apache.hadoop.ipc.Client.call(Client.java:1411)
at org.apache.hadoop.ipc.Client.call(Client.java:1364)
at org.apache.hadoop.ipc.ProtobufRpcEngine$Invoker.invoke(ProtobufRpcEngine.java:206)
at com.sun.proxy.$Proxy17.blockReport(Unknown Source)
at org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.protocolPB.DatanodeProtocolClientSideTranslatorPB.blockReport(DatanodeProtocolClientSideTranslatorPB.java:175)
at org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.datanode.BPServiceActor.blockReport(BPServiceActor.java:493)
at org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.datanode.BPServiceActor.offerService(BPServiceActor.java:716)
at org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.datanode.BPServiceActor.run(BPServiceActor.java:851)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:745)

I can't find any help on that, and I'm not sure where else to look. Does anyone know what that issue is or what I might look for?

I'm running Ubuntu 14.04.1 LTS and hadoop version prints out:

Hadoop 2.5.0-cdh5.3.1
Subversion http://github.com/cloudera/hadoop -r 4cda8416c73034b59cc8baafbe3666b074472846
Compiled by jenkins on 2015-01-28T00:41Z
Compiled with protoc 2.5.0
From source with checksum 6a018149a764de4b8992755df9a2a1b
This command was run using /opt/cloudera/parcels/CDH-5.3.1-1.cdh5.3.1.p0.5/jars/hadoop-common-2.5.0-cdh5.3.1.jar        

Thanks for your help!

1 REPLY 1
Highlighted

Re: HDFS delete command results in: ArrayIndexOutOfBoundsException and “RemoteException in offerServ

Master Guru
You are likely hitting HDFS-7960. This was fixed in our maintenance release of 5.3.3 onwards (for the 5.3.x line). Please update your 5.3.x release to the latest available one to resolve this.
Don't have an account?
Coming from Hortonworks? Activate your account here