Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

HDFS resiliency - DR - rack aware

Rising Star

Hello,

I am in the process of improving the resilience of our hadoop clusters.

We are using a twin-datacenter architecture; the hadoop cluster nodes are located in two different buildings separated by 10 km with Namenode HA activated.

We are using a replica factor of 4 + 2 rack awareness (on rack per site).

The replica factor of 4 is probably a bit "luxury", but it might protect against the lost of an entire rack (lost of a site) + the lost of some nodes on the remaining site.

In case of losing en entire rack, I am wondering if HDFS will try to replicate the data on the remaining rack, thus we will get 4 replica on the same rack and overconsume space on the remaining rack ?...or will it "disable" the replica that is supposed to be located on the failed rack ?

Does it make sense to create 4 racks (one for each replica) in order to ensure that the data will be replicated on the both sites in a balanced way (2x2) ?

Many thanks in advance for your feedback.

Regards

Laurent

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@Laurent lau

Let's take it one by one:

1. One big advantage of 4 replicas might be actually faster jobs in the situation where big jobs are fired simultaneously.
  2. Rack or no rack if data is lost, and replication factor falls below the specified level hdfs will try to replicate and bring it to the original replication factor.
  3. All the replicas will never be on the same rack until and unless that is the only rack alive.
  4. My suggestion for best performance and availability use a minimum of 3 racks per data center.

Wrote an article some time ago, it might also help in clarifying some of your doubts:

https://community.hortonworks.com/content/kbentry/43057/rack-awareness-1.html

Thanks

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

@Laurent lau

Let's take it one by one:

1. One big advantage of 4 replicas might be actually faster jobs in the situation where big jobs are fired simultaneously.
  2. Rack or no rack if data is lost, and replication factor falls below the specified level hdfs will try to replicate and bring it to the original replication factor.
  3. All the replicas will never be on the same rack until and unless that is the only rack alive.
  4. My suggestion for best performance and availability use a minimum of 3 racks per data center.

Wrote an article some time ago, it might also help in clarifying some of your doubts:

https://community.hortonworks.com/content/kbentry/43057/rack-awareness-1.html

Thanks

@Laurent lau

You can adjust HDFS rebalance speed per your need. Refer this documentation:

https://docs.hortonworks.com/HDPDocuments/HDP2/HDP-2.6.0/bk_hdfs-administration/content/configuring_...

If you are worried about filling the disk space during rack maintenance operation you can configure the balancer to be really slow so that you can have 48 hours window and virtually nothing will be replicated. Or if the situation permits you can take the namenode in safe mode. This will allow read operations but no write.

This is correct "if the number of replica factor is equal to the number of racks, there is no guarantee that there will be a replica spread in each rack." The policy is all the replicas will not be on the same rack.

@Laurent lau

Do you have any more questions on this? Else you can accept the answer to close the thread.

Thanks

Rising Star

Hello @rbiswas,

Sorry, I'm a bit confused by your last statement.

Could you please confirm that if I define a replication factor of 4, and 4 racks, I will get the following distribution of replicas ? (see diagram below)

19517-hdfs-rack.png

regards

Laurent

@Laurent lau that equal distribution of replica is not guaranteed.

If you think about it in high level it does compromise the speed of writes as well as reads. So not recommended even if you are planning to do it programmatically.

Rising Star

Hello @rbiswas,

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you (I was on holidays).

Thanks for your answers. Yes we can close the thread.

regards

Laurent

Rising Star

thanks @rbiswas for your answer.

My concern is regarding the speed of the replication if, let's say one rack is unavailable during 24 / 48hours for maintenance reasons, and in the meantime HDFS is trying to replicate all then data on the remaining rack, thus might saturate the disk space on this rack !

I can't find any documentation mentionning this " HDFS rebalance speed" .

Also it looks to me that, if the number of replica factor is equal to the number of racks, there is no guarantee that there will be a replica spread in each rack.

Do you confirm it ?

Thanks in advance.

rgds

Laurent