Support Questions
Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise

HDP 2.5 strange behavior overall

HDP 2.5 strange behavior overall

I have asked a question on stackoverflow about HDP 2.5. it seems like the community also facing the same issue. It would be really helpful if someone from hortonworks can help figure out what is going on within the sandbox machine.

link : http://stackoverflow.com/questions/39685602/hdp-2-5-hortonworks-ambari-admin-password-reset-missing

4 REPLIES 4

Re: HDP 2.5 strange behavior overall

Expert Contributor

are you saying the ambari user account and linux credentials are different??

By default, Ambari saves its user profiles in Postgres (in Sandbox) - however in real-world, you can integrate this with your LDAP, for consistency.

Coming back to your initial question - you are right, you first login to the putty as root and will run the 'ambari-admin-password-reset' command to reset your admin password for Ambari

no, this is not the problem with the sandbox. it seems like when you login using putty or if you login using the vm console it not behaves the same for the same user 'root'.

there are some command line utilities i.e

ambari-admin-password-reset-missing

that cannot be riched from the vm console while i can reach them using putty for the same user.

I think it somehow connected to TTY

Expert Contributor

The HDP 2.5 Sandbox runs as a Docker container. So when you login to the host VM, you are not actually logging into the 'Sandbox' as such. You are just logging into your host. That is why the reset password command is not available; that is, it is available in the Docker container. When you putty in using the correct port as described in the Sandbox launcher, you will be loggin into the Docker container, which is why you can then use the script.

Is there any news about that ? Did someone looked into that sandbox?