Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

HDP Sandbox 2.5 problems with Zeppelin

New Contributor

Hi:

I'm running the HDP sandbox version 2.5 (docker, on a remote LXC) and can run zeppelin through port 9995 (as anonymous), but not through ambari (server not found). There are no alerts in ambari for zeppelin. I checked the zeppelin logs and at first there was nothing suspicious. Based on previous posts, I tried looking for empty notebooks. I tried stopping and restarting zeppelin. No change. I'm definitely not experienced, so am banging my way through this.

Now there is an error in the zeppelin logs but since behavior did not change, I didn't dig into this too much:

ERROR [2016-10-14 22:46:57,143] ({main} Interpreter.java[register]:315) - Static initialization is deprecated. You should change it to use interpreter-setting.json in your jar or interpreter/{interpreter}/interpreter-setting.json

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Super Guru

@mija lee

How are you trying to connect to Zeppelin in Ambari: are you using the Quick Links menu or the Ambari View?

I have found that both scenarios won't work as expected unless you have sandbox.hortonworks.com configured in the /etc/hosts file on your local computer (assuming some form of unix) to point to your LXC where the Docker container is running.

I'm running on a Mac using Docker. Once I added "127.0.0.1 sandbox.hortonworks.com sandbox" to my /etc/hosts file, both ways of accessing the Zeppelin notebook worked fine.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Super Guru

@mija lee

How are you trying to connect to Zeppelin in Ambari: are you using the Quick Links menu or the Ambari View?

I have found that both scenarios won't work as expected unless you have sandbox.hortonworks.com configured in the /etc/hosts file on your local computer (assuming some form of unix) to point to your LXC where the Docker container is running.

I'm running on a Mac using Docker. Once I added "127.0.0.1 sandbox.hortonworks.com sandbox" to my /etc/hosts file, both ways of accessing the Zeppelin notebook worked fine.

New Contributor

It worked, and that will make all the tutorials go much smoother. The one thing that surprised me is that I expected to be logged into zeppelin as the user from which I launched zeppelin in ambari. But that is a different question. Thank you!

Super Guru

I'm glad you got it worked out. I will look into getting the tutorials updated to reflect these details.