Support Questions
Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Alert: Welcome to the Unified Cloudera Community. Former HCC members be sure to read and learn how to activate your account here.

HDP2.4 Sandbox - Impala Daemon not starting

HDP2.4 Sandbox - Impala Daemon not starting

Explorer

Hi, I am trying to install Impala on Hortonworks HDP2.4 sandbox. I followed the steps in the link "https://gist.github.com/rampage644/4e24ee5014d3d6d8bee8#file-impala-hdp-md". I am able to start "Impala_Catalog_Service" and "Impala_State_Store". But when I start "Impala_Daemon" in Ambari or from root, it starts, but immediatly goes dead. Refer below.

---------------------------------------------
[root@sandbox ~]# for i in server state-store catalog ; do service "impala-$i" start ; done
Started Impala Server (impalad): [ OK ]
Impala State Store Server is running [ OK ]
Impala Catalog Server is running [ OK ]
[root@sandbox ~]# for i in server state-store catalog ; do service "impala-$i" status ; done
Impala Server is dead and pid file exists [FAILED]
Impala State Store Server is running [ OK ]
Impala Catalog Server is running [ OK ]
---------------------------------------------

When I looked at Impala log file and error (impalad.ERROR) and I noticed the below error.

E0104 06:55:01.432029 9923 thrift-server.cc:180] ThriftServer 'beeswax-frontend' (on port: 21000) exited due to TException: Could not bind: Transport endpoint is not connected
E0104 06:55:01.432111 9702 thrift-server.cc:169] ThriftServer 'beeswax-frontend' (on port: 21000) did not start correctly
F0104 06:55:01.432162 9702 impalad-main.cc:83] ThriftServer 'beeswax-frontend' (on port: 21000) did not start correctly

Any help on how to resolve this would be helpful.

Thanks & Regards
3 REPLIES 3

Re: HDP2.4 Sandbox - Impala Daemon not starting

Master Collaborator

It seems like HDP runs some service on port 21000 - Atlas HA based on some quick googling. You either need to reconfigure that service to run on a different port, or reconfigure Impala to run the beeswax service on a different port (the command line argument is --beeswax_port).

Explorer

Thanks Tim. It worked.

Rising Star

While we're happy to help however we can here, you might also get more mileage out of engaging with the Apache Impala community (see http://impala.incubator.apache.org/community.html). Questions in this forum tend to be about Impala on CDH, but you might find more experience with other distributions upstream. 

In this instance I'm certain Tim's advice is right - that's the message that Thrift sometimes prints when it can't bind to a port because some other process is using it. 

Cheers,

Henry