Support Questions
Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Alert: Welcome to the Unified Cloudera Community. Former HCC members be sure to read and learn how to activate your account here.

Handling resource hungry applications with Spark on Yarn

Handling resource hungry applications with Spark on Yarn

Explorer

Hello, I hope I get get some advice on this issue which I have been struggling with for a while.

I have an application that is very resource hungry. It runs for several hours before completion. It is running with Spark on Yarn.

Ideally, I would like it to consume as much resources as possible, but release some resources when other applications are submitted to the cluster.

I defined 2 queues, one with 67% and one with 33% . I enabled pre-emption, and gave the higher queue a timeout of 10 seconds for pre-emption. My application is submitted to the lower queue, and starts running. But when I submit another application to the higher queue, it is stuck in ACCEPTED status and does not get processed until the first application is finished. I was expecting the first application to release some resources and allow the second one to start. What am I missing?

thanks!

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Handling resource hungry applications with Spark on Yarn

Master Collaborator

This sounds a lot like a job for dynamic executor allocation on YARN. It can shut down and add back executors in response to demand. It doesn't involve queues even.

Explorer

Could you elaborate a bit more? thanks!

I tried enabling spark.dynamicAllocation and spark.shuffle.service and followed the steps in https://spark.apache.org/docs/1.2.0/job-scheduling.html, but could not find a jar file called spark-<version>-yarn-shuffle.jar in my cloudera distribution. I am using CDH 5.3.0 .

When I tried running a job anyways, I got this error: 

org.apache.hadoop.yarn.exceptions.InvalidAuxServiceException: The auxService:spark_shuffle does not exist

Explorer

I saw that CDH 5.4 includes the shuffling service I mentioned above. I will try it out once I get my hands on CDH 5.4. 

thanks!