Support Questions
Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Alert: Welcome to the Unified Cloudera Community. Former HCC members be sure to read and learn how to activate your account here. Want to know more about what has changed? Check out the Community News blog.

Hbase master start fails

Hbase master start fails

New Contributor

Cannot start hbase master in Cloudera manager, I receive the following error:

Failed to become active master
org.apache.hadoop.hbase.util.FileSystemVersionException: HBase file layout needs to be upgraded. You have version 7 and I want version 8. Consult http://hbase.apache.org/book.html for further information about upgrading HBase. Is your hbase.rootdir valid? If so, you may need to run 'hbase hbck -fixVersionFile'.
	at org.apache.hadoop.hbase.util.FSUtils.checkVersion(FSUtils.java:603)
	at org.apache.hadoop.hbase.master.MasterFileSystem.checkRootDir(MasterFileSystem.java:436)
	at org.apache.hadoop.hbase.master.MasterFileSystem.createInitialFileSystemLayout(MasterFileSystem.java:145)
	at org.apache.hadoop.hbase.master.MasterFileSystem.<init>(MasterFileSystem.java:125)
	at org.apache.hadoop.hbase.master.HMaster.finishActiveMasterInitialization(HMaster.java:611)
	at org.apache.hadoop.hbase.master.HMaster.access$500(HMaster.java:169)
	at org.apache.hadoop.hbase.master.HMaster$1.run(HMaster.java:1479)
	at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:745)

Checking documentation I ran the command on server:  sudo -u hbase hbase hbck -fixVersionFile

which gave me the following error:

ERROR util.HBaseFsck: Another instance of hbck is running, exiting this instance.[If you are sure no other instance is running, delete the lock file hdfs://myhost:8020/hbase/.tmp/hbase-hbck.lock and rerun the tool]

Thanks

1 REPLY 1

Re: Hbase master start fails

Master Guru
If you are certain no other HBCK is running, have you tried to follow the printed instructions (to delete the lock file) and retry?