Support Questions
Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Alert: Welcome to the Unified Cloudera Community. Former HCC members be sure to read and learn how to activate your account here.

Hello , I am trying to get Ranger up in HDP 2.5 cluster via blueprints. Is there a way I can use the same MYSQL (one of the database servers required for hive) server which comes up for HIVE.

Highlighted

Re: Hello , I am trying to get Ranger up in HDP 2.5 cluster via blueprints. Is there a way I can use the same MYSQL (one of the database servers required for hive) server which comes up for HIVE.

Explorer

So if we can not provide root password in hive config also then that means during MySQL installation hive set the default password to blank.

In this case you can try below steps :

1. Install MySQL server.

2. Set MySQL root password.

3. Create hive db and hive user with 'hive' password, grant all permission to hive user on hive db

4. Now you can provide the required credentials as asked in the various configuration for hive and ranger component.

Re: Hello , I am trying to get Ranger up in HDP 2.5 cluster via blueprints. Is there a way I can use the same MYSQL (one of the database servers required for hive) server which comes up for HIVE.

Explorer

1. To update MySQL root user password try :

UPDATE mysql.user SET Password=PASSWORD('root') WHERE User='root';

2. To create hive db, hive user and granting permissions try :

create database hive;
create user 'hive'@'localhost' identified by 'hive';
create user 'hive'@'%' identified by 'hive';
grant all privileges on hive.* to 'hive'@'localhost';
grant all privileges on hive.* to 'hive'@'%';
flush privileges;
Highlighted

Explorer

@PradeeP AgrawaL Thanks. But I do not think with the above suggestions I can implement HIVE and RANGER at once via blueprint. I had tried these steps when I manually installed Ranger via Ambari UI using the MYSQL created by HIVE.

Don't have an account?
Coming from Hortonworks? Activate your account here