Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

History Server can not start

Expert Contributor

After installing fresh HDP 2.5.3 cluster (ambari 2.4.1.0), all sevices (default selection) installed successfully without any warning. When Starting services, History Server fail to start and make mapreduce fail also.

curl: (52) Empty reply from server
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Expert Contributor

@Jay SenSharma

the real problem is the namenode heap of memory. When History Server try to start, The memory usage of the NameNode climbs quickly to exceed the limit of 1 Gega byte (default configuration) and causes the service to fall. When changing max memory heap to 3 Gb it works fine. I installed previously ambari 2.4.0.1 and i don't seen this behaviour (2.4.2.0 same behaviour as 2.4.1.0). Do you know why?

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13

Expert Contributor

@Jay SenSharma

the real problem is the namenode heap of memory. When History Server try to start, The memory usage of the NameNode climbs quickly to exceed the limit of 1 Gega byte (default configuration) and causes the service to fall. When changing max memory heap to 3 Gb it works fine. I installed previously ambari 2.4.0.1 and i don't seen this behaviour (2.4.2.0 same behaviour as 2.4.1.0). Do you know why?

New Contributor

Hi, in which secction do I increase the memory? HDFS or MapReduce? thanks a lot

Expert Contributor

Hi Aldo, in HDFS. The parameter is called "NameNode Java heap size".

New Contributor

Hi, thank you for each of you by contributing with insights and experiences.

Just my contribution:

I could install my 1st cluster recently and I have got these behavior from it; a dumb distraction was the cause: I thought /etc/hosts were fine and they were not (missing entries) - fixing them properly and restarting services, they got up promptly - reds became green at end in ambari dashboard.

cheers and good luck

Massa