Support Questions
Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Alert: Welcome to the Unified Cloudera Community. Former HCC members be sure to read and learn how to activate your account here.

Hive Metabase will not initialize (HDP 2.4 for Windows)

Hive Metabase will not initialize (HDP 2.4 for Windows)

New Contributor

I have built a small HDP 2.4 for Windows cluster for learning purposes. Hive is proving difficult to get working.

Windows 2008 R2 VM Firewall is off Python 2.7.11 installed JDK 1.7_51 installed, path set and JAVA_HOME set

MS SQL 2012 installed on the Hive VM ODBC connection created and tested hive_user created, password set, sysadmin rights assigned hive_db createdhive121.txt

Hadoop Hive sqljdbc4 present in D:\HDP\hive-1.2.1000.2.4.2.0-258\lib hive schematool -initSchema -dbtype mssql (fails to create) hive-site.xml set to create on start up (fails to create)

<name>javax.jdo.option.ConnectionURL</name> <value>jdbc:sqlserver://hdp-hive:1433;database=hive_db;encrypt=true;trustServerCertificate=true; create=true</value> <description>JDBC connect string for a JDBC metastore</description>

8512-hadoop-20161012-141517.jpg

Interestingly enough, the Oozie VM managed to connect and create its database upon installation and startup. The Hive.log shows many errors that I am not understanding the reasons why.

The first part of the log is attached. I would like to see this project succeed. If anyone has any feed back., I would appreciate it. Thanks.

2 REPLIES 2

Re: Hive Metabase will not initialize (HDP 2.4 for Windows)

Mentor

@Ken Bright this is a common problem when installing Hive, please consider adding the following property to hive-site.xml

<property>
  <name>datanucleus.autoCreateTables</name>
  <value>True</value>
</property>

and try again, if not, drop the hive tables and try to add the service again. All that said, HDP 2.4 is the very last release of HDP on Windows OS. Consider continuing your journey on Linux.

Re: Hive Metabase will not initialize (HDP 2.4 for Windows)

New Contributor

Thank you for that. The missing element allowed it to work and create the tables in the database.

I did see the announcement some weeks back, but had already committed with the demo cluster. My internal presentation will proceed with HDP 2.4 and the Sandbox. I will be able to demo Ambari using the Sandbox. At some point I will build a new cluster using Linux and see if I can make that work.

Don't have an account?
Coming from Hortonworks? Activate your account here