Support Questions
Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Alert: Welcome to the Unified Cloudera Community. Former HCC members be sure to read and learn how to activate your account here.

Hive Monitoring for query output

Hive Monitoring for query output

New Contributor

Hi , 

I would like to know if there is possible way (For auditing Purpose) to monitor Hive Queries Output only for total amount of rows Fetched in the output, I would like to Generate Alert If the user has tried a query which will result in more then certain number of rows fetched.

I can able to see these results for Impala, as under the queries section, the number of rows shown, but do not have similar option for hive

2 REPLIES 2

Re: Hive Monitoring for query output

Cloudera Employee

Hi Nicks, 

I understand that you would like to get an alert when a user executes a query that returns an output with the number of rows more than a pre-defined number of rows. Is my understanding of your query correct?

As the limit is pre-defined, I usually append a LIMIT clause with the query, if the LIMIT clause is not already mentioned in the query.

I would like to bring to your notice that Hue returns a partial result and load more data when scrolled down. However, when Executing the query from Hue, I do not see an alerting mechanism based on the number of rows returned, at the moment. I will update here, once I come across something more helpful.

Highlighted

Re: Hive Monitoring for query output

Guru
@Nicks

As far as I know, Hive does not support that metric. I believe the number you see for Impala is the total number of rows returned, not the rows fetched by client?

Cheers
Eric
Don't have an account?
Coming from Hortonworks? Activate your account here