Support Questions
Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise

Hive ODBC driver against LLAP gives NullPointer

Highlighted

Hive ODBC driver against LLAP gives NullPointer

Contributor

Hi

I’m trying to connect a BI tool to Hive/LLAP with the ODBC driver. Everything works fine when I use the normal Hive, but when I try with LLAP I get a nullpointer exception during communication with the Hive metadata. LLAP is working fine from a JDBC connection (working daily with beeline and Toad), so I suspect that’s it’s just the ODBC driver that have this problem. And yes, I run with the latest downloadable ODBC driver.

I’ve tested with both PowerBI and Tableau and I get the same error in both. Tableau gives me the possibility to write the database/table name directly and if I do that, I can read the data in that table. PowerBI just lists the Hive databases, I get a list of the tables but if I click on one of the tables, I get the following error.

DataSource.Error: ODBC: ERROR [HY000] [Hortonworks][Hardy]
(35) Error from server: error code: '0' error message:
'MetaException(message:java.lang.NullPointerException)'.

Details:
DataSourceKind=Odbc
DataSourcePath=dsn=Hive_Dev
OdbcErrors=Table 		

The same time, in the LLAP logfile on the server, I get the output that is in the attached file. Any thoughts about what the error could be here?

Best Regards

Berry

llap-odbc-metadata-error.txt

2 REPLIES 2

Re: Hive ODBC driver against LLAP gives NullPointer

Contributor

Looks like some code is trying to retrieve foreign keys from Hive (GetCrossReference), while supplying a null database name. Not sure why it happens when using LLAP in particular. Are you sure there isn't something special about the tool/the pattern of use that could cause this behavior?

Highlighted

Re: Hive ODBC driver against LLAP gives NullPointer

@Berry Österlund

This is a bug in Hortonworks > ODBC 2.1.5 This is fixed and will be part of iHDP 3.0

As an interim please use ODBC driver v2.1.2 from the archive section under HDP 2.4.

Thanks