Support Questions
Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Alert: Welcome to the Unified Cloudera Community. Former HCC members be sure to read and learn how to activate your account here.

Hive not able to read ID column with data type int/big int

Hive not able to read ID column with data type int/big int

Expert Contributor

I have data in a flat file that my hive table is reading from. It reads rest of the data just fine. However, I have a column with values like

which is typically an id and suggested datatype of hue while creating the table is int. I tried changing that to bigint, double and varchar but yet it shows NULL for all the values in the column.

However if I change it to a string, it shows this with in the quotes i.e

"408574322".How do I fix this?Why is it not able to read this sort of id's anywhere in any of the tables?

6 REPLIES 6
Highlighted

Re: Hive not able to read ID column with data type int/big int

@Simran Kaur

Int does allow values between INT (4-byte signed integer, from -2,147,483,648 to 2,147,483,647). Refer to below link:

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/Hive/LanguageManual+Types

I don't think it is related to data type precision issue. Share the logs under /var/log/hue for analysis.

Highlighted

Guru

Can you share hiveserver logs ? also try casting and see if you are able to see the results that way.

Highlighted

Expert Contributor

@srai: Which file in this folder would contain the relevant logs?

Highlighted

Expert Contributor

Now, as I check further, it stored 0's for a lot of columns with data types int/smallint/float and double as well @srai

Highlighted

@Simran Kaur

Can you check if the query returns 0 when query is run from hive cli or beeline?

If not, attach beeswax log, runcpserver log from /var/log/hue and hiveserver2.log from /var/log/hive.

Highlighted

Guru

Have you already tried doing a create table as select @Simran Kaur, any luck with that ? Also, can you try this and share the output (make sure you have enough screen scroll buffer)

hive --hiveconf hive.root.logger=DEBUG,console
Don't have an account?
Coming from Hortonworks? Activate your account here