Support Questions
Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Alert: Welcome to the Unified Cloudera Community. Former HCC members be sure to read and learn how to activate your account here.

Hortonbox Sandbox 3.0 not starting in VM

Hortonbox Sandbox 3.0 not starting in VM

New Contributor

Hello, I wonder if you could assist with the following. I am trying to launch the Hortonworks Sandbox 3.0 through the Ocracle VM 6.0. After I start the the Sandbox in the VM a black window opens and freezes. Has anybody experience the same issue and how can I resolve this? My laptop has 12 GB RAM and I have allocated 10 GB RAM to the VM. Thank you very much in advance for your help!

10 REPLIES 10
Highlighted

Re: Hortonbox Sandbox 3.0 not starting in VM

Mentor

@JuergenB84 

There could be a host of problems, can you share  the networking settings of the Sandbox, the memory recommendation is 12 GB but maybe the host OS is short of memory 2 GB for a windows 10, can you reduce the sandbox to 8 GB just for testing and also ensure your host OS supports virtualization this can be check and enabled in the BIOS see attached screenshot

enable_virtualization.PNG

Please revert

New Contributor

Hi Shelton, Thank you very much for your feedback! Please see below some pictures of the VM including the Network. I have reduced the VM to 8 GB and also check if checked if the virtualization technology is enabled in the BIOS (it is enabled). Unfortunately the sandbox will still not start. In the first picture below, however, it says that the sandbox is running (see left side of the picture). What else could I try to get it started? Again, thank you very much for your support, I much appreciate it!

VM and Sandbox.PNG

VM.PNG

Settings - Network.PNGSettings - System.PNG

Mentor

@JuergenB84 

Can you do 2 things:

System:
Can you increase the CPU to 2
Network

Use Bridged Adapter and ONLY use Cable connected if your Host connecting using RJ45 cable to the network else use wireless

New Contributor

Hi Shelton, I have increased the CPU to 2 (and 3) and changed it to "bridged adapter" but unfortunately, the sandbox will still not start. Is it possible for someone to log on to my laptop via Team-viewer and have a look at it? I am also thinking to switch the operating system on my laptop from windows to Linux if that would get the sandbox to start. Again, thank you very much for your help! Juergen

Mentor

@JuergenB84 

I could do a TeamViewer but I get home late  19h00 CET. But just to revalidate can you download a new image and try to import it ? Can you checksum the download?

The image could be corrupt.

Please revert

New Contributor

Hi Shelton, I have downloaded the Sandbox 2.5 version (instead of the 3.0 version). Once I launch it in the sandbox I get the below picture. It says that it has not undergone upstreaming testing. Do you know what that means? Again, thank you very much!

Sandbox 2.5.PNG

New Contributor

I have downloaded the sandbox version 2.6.5. Unfortunately, this version will not start either in the VM. 

Mentor

@JuergenB84 

It seems and  sounds more of a VMware problem than an OS It may well be that VMware doesn't  support  the host  technology.
I think this is more of a hardware problem can you share the /var/log/messages you should see something like

Detected CPU family 6 model 142
   UNSUPPORTED HARDWARE DEVICE: Intel CPU model
   ------------[ cut here ]------------
   WARNING: at kernel/rh_taint.c:13 mark_hardware_unsupported+0x37/0x40() (Not tainted)
   Hardware name: xxxxxxxxx

Your hardware is unsupported. Please do not report bugs, panics, oopses, etc., on this hardware.

What are the specs of your host. There are a couple of site out there to download drivers but I won't advice.
I also suspect you downloaded the wrong version of sandbox not compatible with your under lying OS, can you down load the version highlihted

Vmware issus Cloudera.PNG

Thats the version that should run without any issues with your Oracle Virtual box  provided you enabled virtualization in your host BIOS.
Here is the direct link choose virtualbox in the drop down 

https://www.cloudera.com/downloads/hortonworks-sandbox/hdp.html

Check this link for learning-the-ropes-of-the-hdp-sandbox tutorials 

Please revert should you encounter any technical issues.

Happy hadooping 

New Contributor

Hi Shelton, thank you very much! Please a screenshot of the logs (withing the VM and the sandbox - see first picture below). I hope these are the logs you are referring to. I only screenshot the last lines,but line # 1780 shows the following.

TM: Host/VM is not suitable for using TSC mode 'RealTscOffset', request to change TSC mode ignored

Does that mean that the VM and the OS are not compatible? As for the specification, please see below 2 pictures. 

In case the OS is not compatible with the sandbox, could I resolve this issue by switching the OS from Windows to Linux? Also, I only have about 32 GB (out of 128) SSD available. Could that perhaps be an issue? As for the vision, I downloaded the "Virtualbox" (not VMWARE Docker).

Again, thank you very much for your support with this!

Log.PNG

Logs.PNG

Specifications (picture 1).PNG

Specifications (picture 2).PNG

Don't have an account?
Coming from Hortonworks? Activate your account here