Support Questions
Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Alert: Welcome to the Unified Cloudera Community. Former HCC members be sure to read and learn how to activate your account here.

How Can I Start hadoop on CDH4? Where is the documentation?

How Can I Start hadoop on CDH4? Where is the documentation?

I just installed CDH4.8.  I can't find any documentation on how to use it.  I followed the instructions here:

http://www.cloudera.com/content/cloudera-content/cloudera-docs/CDH4/latest/CDH4-Quick-Start/cdh4qs_t...

so here is my attempt to use it:

[msknapp@localhost init.d]$ hadoop fs -ls /
ls: Call From localhost.localdomain/127.0.0.1 to localhost:8020 failed on connection exception: java.net.ConnectException: Connection refused; For more details see:  http://wiki.apache.org/hadoop/ConnectionRefused
[msknapp@localhost init.d]$ service hadoop start
hadoop: unrecognized service

[msknapp@localhost init.d]$ sudo service /etc/init.d/hadoop-yarn-resourcemanager start
[sudo] password for msknapp:
Starting Hadoop resourcemanager:                           [  OK  ]
starting resourcemanager, logging to /var/log/hadoop-yarn/yarn-yarn-resourcemanager-localhost.localdomain.out
[msknapp@localhost init.d]$ sudo service /etc/init.d/hadoop-yarn-nodemanager start
Starting Hadoop nodemanager:                               [  OK  ]
starting nodemanager, logging to /var/log/hadoop-yarn/yarn-yarn-nodemanager-localhost.localdomain.out
[msknapp@localhost init.d]$ hadoop fs -ls /
ls: Call From localhost.localdomain/127.0.0.1 to localhost:8020 failed on connection exception: java.net.ConnectException: Connection refused; For more details see:  http://wiki.apache.org/hadoop/ConnectionRefused
[msknapp@localhost init.d]$

so after a while I was able to guess that I need to do 'sudo service /etc/init.d/hadoop-yarn-nodemanager start' even though nothing in the documentation told me to do that.  I won't be able to just guess the correct way to do everything though, I need documentation.

I went searching through the CDH4.8 documentation, I can't find any explanation of how to start and stop the services.  I really need a list of services that I can start and stop, and the options that they take. 

1. Can you please point me to that documentation? 

2. How can I start hadoop?

3. Why is 'hadoop fs -ls /' not working?  I already formatted it so it should be working?

4. Where is hadoop keeping its files on the real file system?

2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted

Re: How Can I Start hadoop on CDH4? Where is the documentation?

I finally noticed that there is more documentation at the bottom of the web page I was following for the quick start.  After I finished the steps for CentOS, I thought all that was left was steps for other operating systems.  Cloudera should really add a link to the next step after you finish the OS specific steps.

Highlighted

Re: How Can I Start hadoop on CDH4? Where is the documentation?

Master Collaborator

@michaelscottknapp thank you for the feedback.  I'd be happy to get a link added to our docs to help alleviate this confusion.  Can you be a little more specific about what link you would like to see and where?  I didn't quite follow your request.

Regards

Don't have an account?
Coming from Hortonworks? Activate your account here