Support Questions
Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Alert: Welcome to the Unified Cloudera Community. Former HCC members be sure to read and learn how to activate your account here.

How can I connect Spoon (Pentaho Data Integration) with Hive using the Sandbox ?

How can I connect Spoon (Pentaho Data Integration) with Hive using the Sandbox ?

New Contributor

Hi Everyone!

I'm trying to connect Spoon (Tool from Pentaho Data integration) with Hive or just with The sandbox MySQL. I already installed the ODBC driver, but doesn´t connect, Always says: Connection Failed.

Thanks!

6 REPLIES 6

Re: How can I connect Spoon (Pentaho Data Integration) with Hive using the Sandbox ?

Hello @Teresa Tavernelli!
Could you share with us the parameter that you're passing to the ODBC?
Btw, just asking but, are you using Linux/Windows? (at the client host).
One thing to check as well is if you're able to telnet/netcat the port 10000 (default of Hive server2) from the host machine.
One last thing, are you able to connect to the Hive using beeline inside the sandbox?
E.g.

beeline -u 'jdbc:hive2://<your-sandbox>:10000/default;' -n hive

Hope this helps!

Re: How can I connect Spoon (Pentaho Data Integration) with Hive using the Sandbox ?

New Contributor

Hello @Vinicius Higa Murakami

I am using windows. The sandbox version is 2.6.5.

I connected hive with Tableau using de ODBC driver and all fine. But with Pentaho I don´t know what is happening. This is the error in Pentaho, I think that miss a library or another driver.

Thanks in advance.

91405-error-hive.png

Hi @Teresa Tavernelli!
Could you try one thing?
Test to change the localhost for the name of the sandbox machine (should be something like this: sandbox-hdp.hortonworks.com:10000).
Since I'm not aware of Pentaho tools, do you've any config from Kettle where you can put the hive-site.xml (configs for Hive).
Hope this helps!

New Contributor

Hello again, @Vinicius Higa Murakami

I connected Pentaho with Hive satisfactorily. I just update Pentaho to the current version and works perfectly. But now I want to connect Pentaho to the MySQL inside the sandbox. Do you know how can I do that?

Hello @Teresa Tavernelli!
Glad to know that you made it :)
So regarding the Mysql, you can give it a shot with the following parameters:

hostname -> your-sandbox-hostname
port -> 3306
user -> root

ps: I didn't test it myself
Also if it doesn't work, try with the hive configs for mysql (instead of using username as root, change it to hive)

Hope this helps!

Don't have an account?
Coming from Hortonworks? Activate your account here