Support Questions
Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Alert: Welcome to the Unified Cloudera Community. Former HCC members be sure to read and learn how to activate your account here.

How does Kafka work on Hortonworks Docker Sandbox HDP for Oracle VM VirtualBox?

How does Kafka work on Hortonworks Docker Sandbox HDP for Oracle VM VirtualBox?

New Contributor

Hello,

I have the Kafka Broker started on my Oracle VM VirtualBox. So, its there, I think. On another VM (an Ubuntu serer with Hortonworks Sandbox HDP) I see Kafka was installed under:

• /usr/hdp/current/kafka-broker/

However, I don’t see this on the Hortonworks Docker Sandbox HDP for Oracle VM VirtualBox.

On that other VM, I used to go to a bin directory and run commands like:

• bin/kafka-server-start.sh conf/server.properties
  • bin/kafka-topics.sh
  • bin/kafka-console-consumer.sh
  • bin/kafka-console-producer.sh

These created topics, a consumer and a producer so Kafka would be streaming data.

Where on Hortonworks Docker Sandbox HDP for Oracle VM VirtualBox are these folders and commands for Kafka? Just looking for more information about how to use Kafka Hortonworks Docker Sandbox HDP.

2 REPLIES 2

Re: How does Kafka work on Hortonworks Docker Sandbox HDP for Oracle VM VirtualBox?

Super Collaborator

How did you connect to the sandbox? Did you ssh to port 22? In that case try ssh to port 2222, as the sandbox is using docker inside, and the Hortonworks layer is only visible when connecting to port 2222.

Re: How does Kafka work on Hortonworks Docker Sandbox HDP for Oracle VM VirtualBox?

New Contributor

Thanks. I found kafka directory.

Don't have an account?
Coming from Hortonworks? Activate your account here