Support Questions
Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Alert: Welcome to the Unified Cloudera Community. Former HCC members be sure to read and learn how to activate your account here.

How to grant permissions on _dummy_database/_dummy_table

Highlighted

How to grant permissions on _dummy_database/_dummy_table

While trying to use Hive date functions I encountered the following permissions error:

0: jdbc:hive2://xxxxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:2181,> SELECT DATE_ADD('2017-12-21', 1);

Error: Error while compiling statement: FAILED: HiveAccessControlException Permission denied: user [xxxxx] does not have [SELECT] privilege on [_dummy_database/_dummy_table] (state=42000,code=40000)

How can permissions be granted to users, groups, or public on the dummy database/dummy table in Hive?

4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted

Re: How to grant permissions on _dummy_database/_dummy_table

@Carol Elliott

You can grant workaround by creating Ranger policy on _dummy_database. Ranger doesn't really check the database, just grant full access on _dummy_database to all. Guess you are hitting the same HIVE-11498 bug which I have already experienced.

If you are using SQL Standard Based Hive Authorization, please create _dummy_database and give them access to that database.

Hope this helps you.

Highlighted

@Carol Elliott Did you get chance to try this solution? Did it help.

Highlighted

Explorer

Hello @bandarusridhar1 , I'm new in big data, please give me exactly the steps to implement you solution 

@Sridhar Reddy Yes, it worked! I tried to update the post to tell you that but apparently my update didn't stick. Thanks so much!

Don't have an account?
Coming from Hortonworks? Activate your account here