Support Questions
Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Alert: Welcome to the Unified Cloudera Community. Former HCC members be sure to read and learn how to activate your account here.

How to increase host disk space 100% used Alert

Highlighted

How to increase host disk space 100% used Alert

Contributor

Hi,

I have completely cluster setup master node and data node using ambari-repo. After I have implement, we suddenly face master node host disk usage alert has 100%. After i check df -h;

[root@master001 ~]# df -h
Filesystem                        Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/mapper/vg_master001-lv_root   50G   48G     0 100% /
tmpfs                             7.8G     0  7.8G   0% /dev/shm
/dev/sda1                         485M   32M  428M   7% /boot
/dev/mapper/vg_master001-lv_home  402G   13G  368G   4% /home	

That above storage system /home has configured 402G. is it possible to readuce space from /home to /usr. without data loss. Due to this issue postgresDB,ambari-server, hdfs,hive doesn't started. Please tell me how do i resolve this issue?

1 REPLY 1

Re: How to increase host disk space 100% used Alert

New Contributor

Hi Varun!

The operation is depending on the exact Linux distribution and version of the OS you are running, and also it will depend on what kind of File System (FS) you have created for /home: You can indeed shrink EXT3 or EXT4 FSs, but if it is XFS, you won't be able to just shrink it in-place, and you will require a backup -> recreate_the_smaller_FS -> restore.

In the XFS case, it might be easier to just add another disk drive.

Since you have these FSs on LVM, once you shrink the /home FS (or add another disk) adding the extra space should be easy with pvcreate -> vgextend -> lvextend -> "/" FS resize.

Take a look at the documentation for your Linux distribution and version on how to do the shrinking/adding more space to the LVM and further FS extension, to get correct and exact procedure for the specific command to run.

Best regards,

--

Tomas

Don't have an account?
Coming from Hortonworks? Activate your account here