Support Questions
Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise

How to install HDF1.2.0.1-1 in Azure Sandbox

How to install HDF1.2.0.1-1 in Azure Sandbox

New Contributor

Hi:

I'm trying to install HDF 1.2.0.1-1 in Azure Sandbox following the tutorial:

http://hortonworks.com/hadoop-tutorial/learning-ropes-apache-nifi/#section_3

However, I always get prompted for root password but the only account I have is the provided at instalalation time on Azure. Any suggestion?

Thanks.

gustavo

4 REPLIES 4

Re: How to install HDF1.2.0.1-1 in Azure Sandbox

You should be able to sudo to root without password when terminal'd in on the Azure sandbox as the user you setup when installing it - try doing this before running the NiFi install.

Hi @Gustavo Sanchez,

The tutorial you are referencing was written for the standalone sandbox that you can download and run on your own personal machine. As such, some of the steps in the instalation script directly reference logging in as the root user and moving files to the /root directory. In your environment, you have a couple options. First, you can leverage the Ambari service bits to install NiFi. This works well for testing out the bits in the sandbox.

Alternatively, you can follow the few simple steps that are part of the HDF documentation to manually download, install, and start NiFi. The process itself can be run as any user from any location so you are safe to use the default user on your Azure Sandbox. Here are the steps that I recommend:

• Download the HDF tarball onto the sandbox from here.
  • Untar the archive on the sandbox in the lcoation of your choosing.
  • Follow these steps the start NiFi and then browse to the UI.

The script you are trying to use basically automates these steps and makes the assumption that you have access to root.

New Contributor

Thank you!!

@Gustavo Sanchez

If you feel an acceptable answer has been provided, please accept the answer. It helps the rest of the community. Thank you!