Support Questions
Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Alert: Welcome to the Unified Cloudera Community. Former HCC members be sure to read and learn how to activate your account here.

How to install JDBC sqoop drivers in Cloudera Docker container

How to install JDBC sqoop drivers in Cloudera Docker container

New Contributor

Hi there,

basic question because I think I am just quite grokking how this works.

This documentation details installling JDBC drivers for Sqoop. Seems pretty straight forward, however as we are running Cloudera is in a docker container to test it out, and as containers are supposed to be immutable, how does one go about installing these drivers to /var/lib/sqoop?

Does the documentation assume that we are not running Cloudera in a container, but as a normal install?

2 REPLIES 2

Re: How to install JDBC sqoop drivers in Cloudera Docker container

Master Collaborator
You can always install the JDBC driver and then create a new image from your container, so that when you restart it it's already installed. Although remember you're going to have the same problem with the data itself, unless you set up some permanent storage for your containers. In general, yes, the documentation is not going to cover how to do things on Docker, as it's a very different environment that is built on principles often contrary to the principles Hadoop is designed with. The image is just provided as a convenience if it's a more convenient platform for you than the other QuickStart VM options.

Re: How to install JDBC sqoop drivers in Cloudera Docker container

New Contributor

hey Sean,

at the moment we're just kicking the tyres on Cloudera to get an idea of how we could use it.

I solved the problem as you noted by installing the drivers inside the container, commiting the changes to a new image and creating a new container from said image. 

I am guessing things would be more simple on the CDH install. I just had a look at the install instructions for it earlier and it seemed a bit more simple to stick with the docker file for the moment ;)