Support Questions
Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Alert: Welcome to the Unified Cloudera Community. Former HCC members be sure to read and learn how to activate your account here.

How to restrict the users access to a particular hive schema, table, filed in zeppelin notebook

How to restrict the users access to a particular hive schema, table, filed in zeppelin notebook

New Contributor

HI All,

We are using zeppelin 0.6.0.2.5.0.0 in HDP2.5 platfrom, and we are looking out a way in which user can be restricted for some of the hive schema, table, filed in zeppelin notebook.

I have already known that Ranger and Atlas can restrict user access to hive schema, table, filed in Ambari Hive view, does anyone know if we can do the same thing in zeppelin notebook just like what Ranger and Atlas does in Amabari Hive view?

any help and response is really appreciated !

2 REPLIES 2

Re: How to restrict the users access to a particular hive schema, table, filed in zeppelin notebook

Expert Contributor

Please check this out https://community.hortonworks.com/questions/77692/controlling-access-to-hdfs-data-through-zeppelin.h... This give idea on controlling hdfs data access through Zeppelin.

@vshukla Is there any specific on Hive access control via zeppelin?Will the Ranger Hive Plugin itself is sufficient for this?

Re: How to restrict the users access to a particular hive schema, table, filed in zeppelin notebook

New Contributor

Hi Ramesh,

Thanks for your reply . I performed some tests at my sides, Ranger Hive plugin is able to control the access of the user who is in the zeppelin jdbc(hive) interpreter as shown in below picture.

11529-screenshot-from-2017-01-20-17-03-53.png

As a result, one way to control the Hive access of Zeppelin user is to create different interpreter binding to different "hive.user" whose access permission is controlled by Ranger , then binding specific interpreter to different zeppelin user.

It is a little bit tricky and complicated.

So it would be better if we can use Range Hive plugin or something else to control the zeppelin user access to Hive

directly.

Thanks again.