Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

How to specify Python version to use with Pyspark in Jupyter?

Hello, I've installed Jupyter through Anaconda and I've pointed Spark to it correctly by setting the following environment variables in my bashrc file :

export PYSPARK_PYTHON=/home/ambari/anaconda3/bin/python
export PYSPARK_DRIVER_PYTHON=jupyter
export PYSPARK_DRIVER_PYTHON_OPTS='notebook --no-browser --ip 0.0.0.0 --port 9999'.

When i tap $python --version, i got Python 3.5.2 :: Anaconda 4.2.0 (64-bit).

When i tap $which python, i got ~/anaconda3/bin/python.

So, i conclude that I'm using python 3 when i run PySpark in Jupyter. But, i got the error message shown in "result.png" when i used simple instruction in jupyter. So, there's a conflict in python version even if i updated

PYSPARK_PYTHON to /home/ambari/anaconda3/bin/python3 instead of /home/ambari/anaconda3/bin/python and refreshed my bashrc file.
so, how can i fix this issue and use Python 3?

result.png
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Expert Contributor

@raouia

Based on your result.png, you are actually using python 3 in jupyter, you need the parentheses after print in python 3 (and not in python 2). To make sure, you should run this in your notebook:

import sys
print(sys.version)

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Expert Contributor

@raouia

Based on your result.png, you are actually using python 3 in jupyter, you need the parentheses after print in python 3 (and not in python 2). To make sure, you should run this in your notebook:

import sys
print(sys.version)

@gnovak

Thank you so much. I was really confused about which version of Python that requires parentheses after print. I thought it was Python2.