Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

Hql to Sparksql: Hive query execution giving error

New Contributor

For Hadoop 3.1 i am using HWC Connector to connect to Hive and execute the queries.Below is the code snippet used for testing.

spark-shell --jars /usr/hdp/current/hive_warehouse_connector/hive-warehouse-connector-assembly-1.0.0.3.1.0.0-78.jar

import com.hortonworks.hwc.HiveWarehouseSession
import com.hortonworks.hwc.HiveWarehouseSession._
val hive = HiveWarehouseSession.session(spark).build()
val query = sc.textFile("/user/temp/hive.hql").collect().mkString.split(";").foreach(qry => hive.executeQuery(qry))
query.show()

This is throwing error as given below.

<console>:30: error: value show is not a member of Unit

Is this not the proper way to run a hql file using Spark.

Please suggest.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Master Guru

@Amrutha K

This is a known issue in spark reported in this Jira SPARK-24260 and not yet resolved.

One way of doing this is to execute each query at a time i.e after reading .hql file we can access array of elemets by their indexes (0),(1)

val df1=sc.sql(sc.textFile("/user/temp/hive.hql").collect().mkString.split(";").collect()(0))
val df2=sc.sql(sc.textFile("/user/temp/hive.hql").collect().mkString.split(";").collect()(1))

(or)

If you want to just execute the queries and see the results on console then try this approach.

sc.textFile("/user/temp/hive.hql").collect().mkString.split(";").map(x => sc.sql(x).show())

Now we are executing all queries in hql script and displaying results in console.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Master Guru

@Amrutha K

This is a known issue in spark reported in this Jira SPARK-24260 and not yet resolved.

One way of doing this is to execute each query at a time i.e after reading .hql file we can access array of elemets by their indexes (0),(1)

val df1=sc.sql(sc.textFile("/user/temp/hive.hql").collect().mkString.split(";").collect()(0))
val df2=sc.sql(sc.textFile("/user/temp/hive.hql").collect().mkString.split(";").collect()(1))

(or)

If you want to just execute the queries and see the results on console then try this approach.

sc.textFile("/user/temp/hive.hql").collect().mkString.split(";").map(x => sc.sql(x).show())

Now we are executing all queries in hql script and displaying results in console.

New Contributor

Thanks Shu. The below command worked for me.

sc.textFile("/user/temp/hive.hql").collect().mkString.split(";").map(x => hive.executeQuery(x).show())

The above question was originally posted in the Community Help track. On Tue Jul 2 18:08 UTC 2019, a member of the HCC moderation staff moved it to the Data Science & Advanced Analytics track. The Community Help Track is intended for questions about using the HCC site itself, not technical questions about The HWC Connector.

Bill Brooks, Community Moderator
Was your question answered? Make sure to mark the answer as the accepted solution.
If you find a reply useful, say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up button.