Support Questions
Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Alert: Welcome to the Unified Cloudera Community. Former HCC members be sure to read and learn how to activate your account here.

Hue Sqoop through Oozie - Passing Parameter values

Hue Sqoop through Oozie - Passing Parameter values

Explorer

Hi,

I am trying to pass the server details and username and password thorugh job.properties files in Sqoop action in HUE Oozie.

we are on sqoop 1.4.5-cdh5.3.3

If i run this command on CLI this runs fine, but on Hue Oozie workflow it fails

Command in sqoop action:

list-databases --connect "jdbc:sqlserver://${dbserver}:140" --username=edm_hadoop_user --password=${dbpass}

Scenario:

I have the job.properties files which has the below info in it and it is present along with workflow.xml file in HDFS.

dbserver=FACETS
dbport=140
dbuser=*******
dbpass=*******

1. if i populate "Parms" and test this with values to 'dbserver' and 'dbpass' it works fine, which i dont want to do it since i need to schedule this workflow and want it to run automatically by picking up the server and password details from a file

2. if i add "Job properties" like this

property name = dbserver

value=${dbserver} and like wise for dbpass as well it fails with error cannot resolve dbserver which means its not sustituting the values from job.properties file.

3. if i add "Files" and specify the job.properties file location in it its not picking up the values either and the job fails.

I have also created a job.xml file with above values in it as properties and gave that file name in "Job XML" even then the workflow failed.

How should i specify the parameters if i want to run sqoop action workflow from Hue oozie ?

5 REPLIES 5

Re: Hue Sqoop through Oozie - Passing Parameter values

Explorer
@Former Member could someone please help me on this.

Cloudera Employee

Hi, 

You should be able to define these variables in the job.properties file.

The job.properties is a properties file, not an XML. It's format is

property_name=value

So your file looks fine:

dbserver=FACETS
dbport=140
dbuser=*******
dbpass=*******

Have you referenced the job.properties in job submission with -config? It's not read from hdfs, but from the local file system in job submission time.

Explorer

Hi gezapeti,

i have a job.properties files with below properties in them.

dbserver=FACETSMEDIR
dbbase=RPT
dbport=140
dbuser=*****
dbpass=*****

I am not running the sqoop command from command line i am trying to setup a sqoop action from HUE OOZIE and i am not sure how to reference this properties file so that oozie picks it up and runs the sqoop command.

Cloudera Employee

When you're ediging an action, click on the gears in the top-right corner:Screen Shot 2016-11-21 at 3.37.23 PM.png

There you can add these parameters in the "Properties" section.

Screen Shot 2016-11-21 at 3.37.17 PM.png

I hope this helps, 

Cloudera Employee

You may also define workflow level properties if you click on the gear in the top-right corner:

Screen Shot 2016-11-21 at 3.40.52 PM.png

And add them in the workflow settings tab:

Screen Shot 2016-11-21 at 3.41.09 PM.png