Support Questions
Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Alert: Welcome to the Unified Cloudera Community. Former HCC members be sure to read and learn how to activate your account here.

I am installing ambari-server and complete the setup of ambari-server. but when am going to start ambari-server it is started but after some time status showing it is not running.

Highlighted

I am installing ambari-server and complete the setup of ambari-server. but when am going to start ambari-server it is started but after some time status showing it is not running.

Explorer

v-panare

Exception in thread "main" org.apache.ambari.server.AmbariException: Error stopping the server at org.apache.ambari.server.controller.AmbariServer.stop(AmbariServer.java:737) at org.apache.ambari.server.controller.AmbariServer.main(AmbariServer.java:846)

6 REPLIES 6
Highlighted

Re: I am installing ambari-server and complete the setup of ambari-server. but when am going to start ambari-server it is started but after some time status showing it is not running.

Can you please post more details from the ambari server log?

Highlighted

Re: I am installing ambari-server and complete the setup of ambari-server. but when am going to start ambari-server it is started but after some time status showing it is not running.

Explorer

I wanted to ask you a quick question, I am trying to install Spark on one of the Ubuntu IaaS server as we need to try few new things from Spark 2.0. I am following this link to install the spark cluster http://docs.hortonworks.com/HDPDocuments/Ambari-2.2.2.0/bk_Installing_HDP_AMB/content/index.html

I have installed ambari on Ubuntu box (page # 31) and tried to start Ambari on server using ambary-server start. It gives me following error, is this something you can help or How do I get some support from HDP on this one?

sudo: unable to resolve host VM1-640-MSSales-Ubuntu-Dev

Using python /usr/bin/python

Starting ambari-server

WARNING: The hostname was not found in the reverse DNS lookup. This may result in incorrect behavior. Please check the DNS setup and fix the issue.

Ambari Server running with administrator privileges.

About to start PostgreSQL

Organizing resource files at /var/lib/ambari-server/resources...

Server PID at: /var/run/ambari-server/ambari-server.pid

Server out at: /var/log/ambari-server/ambari-server.out

Server log at: /var/log/ambari-server/ambari-server.log

Waiting for server start....................

ERROR: Exiting with exit code -1.

REASON: Ambari Server java process died with exitcode 1. Check /var/log/ambari-server/ambari-server.out for more information.

CFITAdminuser@VM1-640-MSSales-Ubuntu-Dev:/var/log/ambari-server$

Thanks,

Highlighted

@narender pasunooti

Check the hostname is correctly defined.

Looks like your system is not properly configured for "reverse lookup" which is failing here. Please make sure that the reverse lookup is working fine in your machine. You are getting the following warning.

WARNING: The hostname was not found in the reverse DNS lookup. This may result in incorrect behavior. Please check the DNS setup and fix the issue.

See: https://github.com/apache/ambari/blob/trunk/ambari-server/src/main/python/ambari_server_main.py#L224

if not check_reverse_lookup():
  print_warning_msg("The hostname was not found in the reverse DNS lookup. "
                    "This may result in incorrect behavior. "
                    "Please check the DNS setup and fix the issue.")

The following things ambari checks https://github.com/apache/ambari/blob/trunk/ambari-server/src/main/python/ambari_server/utils.py#L27...

def check_reverse_lookup():
  """
  Check if host fqdn resolves to current host ip
  """
  try:
    host_name = socket.gethostname().lower()
    host_ip = socket.gethostbyname(host_name)
    host_fqdn = socket.getfqdn().lower()
    fqdn_ip = socket.gethostbyname(host_fqdn)
    return host_ip == fqdn_ip
  except socket.error:
    pass
  return False
Highlighted

Highlighted

Expert Contributor

Please check the ambari status and process

1) $ambari-server status

2)$ps -ef|grep ambari

3)By default database which you are using

Explorer

In my case, it was due to hostname so I need to change that:

run command :

# hostname

and

# cat /etc/hosts

make sure both the matching if not then you need to change the hostname.

Example(Suse):

host-172-22-95-11:~ # hostname
host-172-22-95-11
host-172-22-95-11:~ # cat /etc/hosts
#
# hosts         This file describes a number of hostname-to-address
#               mappings for the TCP/IP subsystem.  It is mostly
#               used at boot time, when no name servers are running.
#               On small systems, this file can be used instead of a
#               "named" name server.
# Syntax:
#
# IP-Address  Full-Qualified-Hostname  Short-Hostname
#

127.0.0.1	localhost

# special IPv6 addresses
::1             localhost ipv6-localhost ipv6-loopback

fe00::0         ipv6-localnet

ff00::0         ipv6-mcastprefix
ff02::1         ipv6-allnodes
ff02::2         ipv6-allrouters
ff02::3         ipv6-allhosts

172.22.95.11	pk-suse-2.openstacklocal	pk-suse-2	pk-suse-2.openstacklocal.
172.22.95.10	pk-suse-1.openstacklocal	pk-suse-1	pk-suse-1.openstacklocal.
host-172-22-95-11:~ # cat /etc/hostname
pk-suse-2
host-172-22-99-11:~ # hostnamectl set-hostname  pk-suse-2
host-172-22-99-11:~ # hostname
pk-suse-2
Don't have an account?
Coming from Hortonworks? Activate your account here