Support Questions
Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Alert: Welcome to the Unified Cloudera Community. Former HCC members be sure to read and learn how to activate your account here.

I am new to Big Data. I want to install HDP in my laptop. Just want to know whether my laptop which has 8GB RAM & CORE i5 processor can install it or not?

Highlighted

I am new to Big Data. I want to install HDP in my laptop. Just want to know whether my laptop which has 8GB RAM & CORE i5 processor can install it or not?

New Contributor

4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted

Re: I am new to Big Data. I want to install HDP in my laptop. Just want to know whether my laptop which has 8GB RAM & CORE i5 processor can install it or not?

Mentor

@Avishek Datta

You will need least 8 GB dedicated for HDP, and that's the bare minimum. Unfortunately, even for the latest HDP sandbox, you need 8 GB or it will be too slow and very demotivating for a beginner, I hope your laptop is running linux? If not your best bet is to use the Oracle VM box.

HTH

Highlighted

Re: I am new to Big Data. I want to install HDP in my laptop. Just want to know whether my laptop which has 8GB RAM & CORE i5 processor can install it or not?

Mentor

@Avishek Datta

Do you still need more inputs? the 8 GB is only for the HDP and you will need more for the OS if running Oracle VM

Highlighted

New Contributor

@ Geoffrey Shelton Okot.

I have Win 10 & VMware installed in my laptop with 8 GB RAM. If HDP can't be installed , I have to search for alternatives then. HDP would have been of good help. Is there no other way to install it?

Highlighted

Mentor

@Avishek Datta

If you can't upgrade your memory, here is the basic requirement for running Windows10

• Processor: 1 (GHz) or faster
  • RAM: 1 gigabyte (GB) (32-bit) or 2 GB (64-bit)
  • Free hard disk space: 16 GB

That will leave you with 6 GB's for the VMware and HDP you can still install but it will be damn slow. The other alternative would be AWS
On-Demand

With On-Demand instances, you pay for compute capacity by per hour or per second depending on which instances you run. No longer-term commitments or upfront payments are needed. You can increase or decrease your compute capacity depending on the demands of your application and only pay the specified per hourly rates for the instance you use. On-Demand instances are recommended for:

• Users that prefer the low cost and flexibility of Amazon EC2 without any up-front payment or long-term commitment
  • Applications with short-term, spiky, or unpredictable workloads that cannot be interrupted
  • Applications being developed or tested on Amazon EC2 for the first time

My advice would be to test HDP in a workable environment to have a good user experience, for example, the t3x.large of 16 GB for 24 hours comes to 4 dollars with such a setup you would have gained Hortonworks and AWS cloud experience.

If you find this answered your question please take time to accept and close the thread

ec2.jpg
Don't have an account?
Coming from Hortonworks? Activate your account here