Support Questions
Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise

I attempted Spark Certification Exam today and found, I could not write a CSV file though I executed my .py task as below.

Explorer

spark-submit --packages com:databricks:spark-csv_2.10:1.2.0 task.py.

I got an error that the class could not be found. My question is how can I write a CSV file using the dataframes like below

df.repartition(1).write.format('com.databricks.spark.csv').save('filepath')

Any suggestions on how can I solve the problem of writing a CSV or a TAB file in the certification Exam, I am pretty sure, I failed it, since I could not write.

17 REPLIES 17

Re: I attempted Spark Certification Exam today and found, I could not write a CSV file though I executed my .py task as below.

Cloudera Employee

Replace the colon with dot between com and databricks.

com.databricks:spark-csv_2.10:1.2.0

It works well with spark 1.6.3:

/opt/spark/bin/spark-submit --packages com.databricks:spark-csv_2.10:1.2.0 test.py

Where test.py is the following:

from pyspark import SparkContext
from pyspark.sql import SQLContext
sc = SparkContext(appName="Python")
sqlContext = SQLContext(sc)
q = sqlContext.read.format("com.databricks.spark.csv").load("file:///tmp/ls.txt")
q.write.format("com.databricks.spark.csv").save("file:///tmp/ls2.txt")
16/12/21 18:51:16 INFO HadoopRDD: Input split: file:/tmp/ls.txt:0+640
16/12/21 18:51:16 INFO HadoopRDD: Input split: file:/tmp/ls.txt:640+641
16/12/21 18:51:16 INFO FileOutputCommitter: Saved output of task 'attempt_201612211851_0001_m_000000_1' to file:/tmp/ls2.txt/_temporary/0/task_201612211851_0001_m_000000
16/12/21 18:51:16 INFO SparkHadoopMapRedUtil: attempt_201612211851_0001_m_000000_1: Committed
16/12/21 18:51:16 INFO FileOutputCommitter: Saved output of task 'attempt_201612211851_0001_m_000001_2' to file:/tmp/ls2.txt/_temporary/0/task_201612211851_0001_m_000001
16/12/21 18:51:16 INFO SparkHadoopMapRedUtil: attempt_201612211851_0001_m_000001_2: Committed

It also depends from your configuration (are you running it local or on yarn?). Please post the exact exception and your spark-default.conf and spark-env.sh

If you have connectivity issue you can also try to download the required jar files manually and use the --jars option of spark-submit:

/opt/spark/bin/spark-submit --jars /tmp/spark-csv_2.11-1.2.0.jar,/tmp/commons.csv-1.1.jar test.py

Where the two jars file are downloaded from the maven central repository:

http://search.maven.org/remotecontent?filepath=com/databricks/spark-csv_2.11/1.2.0/spark-csv_2.11-1....

http://search.maven.org/remotecontent?filepath=org/apache/commons/commons-csv/1.1/commons-csv-1.1.ja...

Re: I attempted Spark Certification Exam today and found, I could not write a CSV file though I executed my .py task as below.

Explorer

Unfortunately, I can't post the conf file context and the .sh file content as the error occurred during the certification exam.

Explorer

Thank you. Much appreciated. But the issue here is, how can I handle the problem in the certification exam, since the usual way is not working. I tried to communicate with the certification officials on the issue, but in vain. I paid exam fee to take the next week again, but if the writing of the file does not work again, I don't know how to handle the same then.

Explorer

I am able to get the same work in 3 environments I am working on....

Explorer

Sorry, had a typo here, but I did try with a "." than a ":" in the exam but ended up getting class not found error. Pretty confused since then, any help is greatly appreciated.

Cloudera Employee

What is your Spark version?

Explorer

It was 1.6.3, as I remember, when I took the exam...

Explorer

I have HortonWorks Sandbox, with Spark version 1.6.0, and the same works flawlessly. I am clueless, why could not the same work in the certification exam...Thanks for taking time to answer.

Explorer

I think the error I got was almost as the one below.

-------------

:: USE VERBOSE OR DEBUG MESSAGE LEVEL FOR MORE DETAILS

Exception in thread "main" java.lang.RuntimeException: [unresolved dependency: com.databricks#spark-csv_2.10;1.2.0: not found]

-----------------