Support Questions
Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Alert: Welcome to the Unified Cloudera Community. Former HCC members be sure to read and learn how to activate your account here.

I want to install ambari with existing hadoop cluster and i want to integrate application services with Ambari? Please suggest the way forward to monitor existing Hadoop Cluster nodes ?

Highlighted

I want to install ambari with existing hadoop cluster and i want to integrate application services with Ambari? Please suggest the way forward to monitor existing Hadoop Cluster nodes ?

New Contributor

I have existing Hadoop Cluster, But we don't integrate any monitoring tool for monitoring the Hadoop cluster nodes. I want to integrate Ambari Monitoring tool with existing Hadoop Cluster. Kindly suggest the way forward?

1 REPLY 1

Re: I want to install ambari with existing hadoop cluster and i want to integrate application services with Ambari? Please suggest the way forward to monitor existing Hadoop Cluster nodes ?

Super Mentor

Adding Ambari for management purpose over an existing cluster is called as "Ambari Takeover". You can find a good discussion over in in the following thread:

https://community.hortonworks.com/questions/6703/ambari-server-installation-after-cluster-setup.html

- I am copying and pasting the important part form that thread here:

This would be quite challenging and complex as you will have to perform fresh Ambari setup and complete Ambari Takeover of existing HDP cluster in absence of database backup. You have three options:
1. If cluster is not production and there is feasibility of cleaning up the  cluster, then I would recommend to clean up the cluster and setup fresh  one using Ambari. This would save you a lot of time. Even if there is  some data, just weigh in time and effort trade off for backing up data  and doing fresh install vs performing Ambari Takeover as explained at  high level in next two options.

2. Cluster Takeover using Ambari APIs Setup Ambari Server and Ambari database as earlier on new machine.Update Ambari-Agents to point to Ambari-server host. Use Ambari APIs to perform cluster takeover i.e. add cluster, add hosts, register services and components, register host components. Refer below for Ambari APIs.
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/AMBARI.

3. Third option would be to perform a dummy cluster install using Ambari and then updating configs in Ambari. 

Note:
 Ensure that you take database, install directories and config backups at regular frequency going forward and move those to another backup server or HDFS to avoid further issues due to hardware failures. 

Note: Ensure that you take database, install directories and config backups at regular frequency going forward and move those to another backup server or HDFS to avoid further issues due to hardware failures.

Don't have an account?
Coming from Hortonworks? Activate your account here