Support Questions
Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Alert: Welcome to the Unified Cloudera Community. Former HCC members be sure to read and learn how to activate your account here.

I want to know the steps to Configure java heap with new generation heap and max new gen heap for Namenode heap size in the hortonworks

Solved Go to solution

I want to know the steps to Configure java heap with new generation heap and max new gen heap for Namenode heap size in the hortonworks

New Contributor

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: I want to know the steps to Configure java heap with new generation heap and max new gen heap for Namenode heap size in the hortonworks

Super Mentor

@Rahul Gupta

You can refer to the following Doc to know the NameNode Heap recommendations based on number of files;

https://docs.hortonworks.com/HDPDocuments/HDP2/HDP-2.4.0/bk_installing_manually_book/content/ref-809...

16139-nn-heap-size-recommendations.png

6 REPLIES 6

Re: I want to know the steps to Configure java heap with new generation heap and max new gen heap for Namenode heap size in the hortonworks

Super Mentor

@Rahul Gupta

From Ambari UI --> HDFS --> Configs --> Advanced --> NameNode --> NameNode New Generation Size & NameNode maximum new generation size

16095-nn-heapsize.png

New Contributor

Thanks Jay.

I am confused to set the parameters into the Ambari.

Lets, the already set parameter into the Ambari is below:

16146-previous.jpg

Now I want to set the new parameters, Condition below:

a) Namenode is going to have more than 8 million files

So, I need to configure java heap with new generation heap and max new gen heap for Namenode heap size.

Super Mentor

@Rahul Gupta

You can refer to the following Doc to know the NameNode Heap recommendations based on number of files;

https://docs.hortonworks.com/HDPDocuments/HDP2/HDP-2.4.0/bk_installing_manually_book/content/ref-809...

16139-nn-heap-size-recommendations.png

New Contributor

Thanks Jay,

But I am but confused to fill the values in below fields.

Can you help me please for it,

NameNode new generation size =? MB

NameNode maximum new generation size = ? MB

NameNode permanent generation size = ? MB

NameNode maximum permanent generation size = ? MB

Super Mentor

@Rahul Gupta

You can set:

NameNode new generation size = 768
NameNode maximum new generation size = 768

Permanent Generation values you can leave default. Because from JDK 1.8 onwards there is no concept of Permanent Generation it is replaced with the MetaSpace.

https://dzone.com/articles/java-8-permgen-metaspace

New Contributor

Thanks Jay

Don't have an account?
Coming from Hortonworks? Activate your account here