Support Questions
Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise

Increasing the resource allocation to queues on Yarn

Increasing the resource allocation to queues on Yarn

New Contributor

Hi, I am stuck with this issue for quite sometime now; We have a cluster (with spot instances as workers with auto scaling groups) and cluster is managed by Yarn. We are using fair schedulers on the same. Often we need to add more resources to particular queues based upon the SLA's we have( we are maintaining them in our rep, from AWS metrics, to Yarn Metrics etc). Then we have SLA's which is often time bounded but sometimes metric dependent as well. For Yarn , we are using Fair Scheduling currently. The need is that for a particular SLA, (with a given allowed deviation), if we find that with current resource allocation to this queue we would not be able to meet our SLA( based on application progress etc), we add more instances(resources/containers) to cluster. But what we want to control is that these new resources that are added to cluster are taken up by a specific queue only to speed up the applications in that queue and we meet our SLAs.

Would be really helpful if someone can help us with the solution to do this.

3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted

Re: Increasing the resource allocation to queues on Yarn

Hi @Ketan Dikshit

In HDP - Yarn uses the Capacity Scheduler, and within each Queue, you can specify a Order = Fair Scheduling. Is this what you mean by you are using the fair scheduler? In Ambari, what do you have Yarn > Configs > Advanced > Scheduler > yarn.resourcemanager.scheduler.class set to?

I would recommend using Pre-emption, do you have this enabled?

Highlighted

New Contributor

Hi Ryan, Yes I have the fair scheduler enabled, But how would enabling Pre-emption help me out here ??

Highlighted

The default scheduler is org.apache.hadoop.yarn.server.resourcemanager.scheduler.capacity.CapacityScheduler - why did you change this to Fair Scheduler?

Don't have an account?