Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

Insert overwrite query failing with Execution Error, return code 1 from org.apache.hadoop.hive.ql.exec.MoveTask

Contributor

I am a running a insert overwrite query as below.

Insert overwrite directory '/org/data/tmp/webapptempspace/UC3/log' select a.* from a join b on ucase(a.name)=ucase(b.name);

It works fine when one of the table has smaller dataset, but when both tables have huge data, it throws the below error.

Failed with exception Unable to move source /org/data/tmp/webapptempspace/UC3/log/.hive-staging_hive_2016-01-11_04-31-06_067_6297667876520454770-1/-ext-10000
to destination 
15 REPLIES 15

I come across the same issue. But when I look at hive logs as suggested by Neeraj, I got to know that there were Space Quota set at my directory level. Once I cleared the quota, I was able to create table even for large data sets.

Contributor

Hey can you let me know how did you do it.

Expert Contributor

Hi All,

I am also facing the same issue. I am logged into Ambari with admin user and trying to create /move files from /to under /user/root/satish/ . Here are the details on the folder permissions.

[root@sandbox sat]# hadoop fs -ls /user/root/satish/Found 3 itemsdrwxr-xr-x - root hdfs0 2017-06-14 00:54 /user/root/satish/inputdrwxr-xr-x - root hdfs0 2017-06-14 00:55 /user/root/satish/outputdrwxr-xr-x - root hdfs0 2017-06-14 00:55 /user/root/satish/scripts

Even I tried with different path too, i am getting the same error. Please let me know if I am missing anything here.

Error:

java.sql.SQLException: Error while processing statement: FAILED: Execution Error, return code 1 from org.apache.hadoop.hive.ql.exec.MoveTask

Expert Contributor

I am facing same issue. java.sql.SQLException: Error while processing statement: FAILED: Execution Error, return code 1 from org.apache.hadoop.hive.ql.exec.MoveTask SQL Exception Occured

Any pointer is appreciated.

I faced similar issue. fortunatly for me , the destination dir was not present. once i create it. the error got resolved.

New Contributor

I am getting the same error when I am using INSERT OVERWRITE but same query is getting executed with INSERT INTO.Please let me know the solution.