Support Questions
Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Alert: Welcome to the Unified Cloudera Community. Former HCC members be sure to read and learn how to activate your account here.

Install R in CDC 5.8 within Docker

Install R in CDC 5.8 within Docker

Explorer

Hi,

We have the CDH 5.8.2 (in 3 node config) installed within a docker which is running on Ubuntu OS. I would like to install RHadoop to work on the datasets present in the Hadoop env (within the Docker).

The problem I am facing here is that even though I am able to install R on my Ubuntu OS it is working like a regular R (non-RHadoop) since it is not able to access Hadoop (because CDH is installed within the docker).

1. Can you please suggest the way to mitigate this issue - i.e. how to make the R (which is installed on the Ubuntu OS outside of the Docker) to interact with the CDH 5.8.2 (which is installed within the docker)?
  2. If I need to install R and its Hadoop packages within the Docker, then what are the steps to do so?

Regards.

1 REPLY 1
Highlighted

Re: Install R in CDC 5.8 within Docker

Master Collaborator

If you mean the cluster is unreachable from the R process, then, yes, that's the problem. Of course, you need connectivity. You can run R on an edge node of the cluster, or any node that can access it, though typically you want them to be close because they'll be transferring more than a little data.

Docker and R are something outside of CDH's scope, but, there's not anything particular to know. Just install your tools on a machine that can see the cluster, and set up tools like RHadoop so that they know where the cluster config is, and it all just works. 

Don't have an account?
Coming from Hortonworks? Activate your account here