Support Questions
Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Alert: Welcome to the Unified Cloudera Community. Former HCC members be sure to read and learn how to activate your account here. Want to know more about what has changed? Check out the Community News blog.

Installation failed. Failed to receive heartbeat from agent.

New Contributor

Hi, 

I am getting the below error while installing CDH on single node ec2 instance. 

• Ensure that the host's hostname is configured properly.
  • Ensure that port 7182 is accessible on the Cloudera Manager server (check firewall rules).
  • Ensure that ports 9000 and 9001 are free on the host being added.
  • Check agent logs in /var/log/cloudera-scm-agent/ on the host being added (some of the logs can be found in the installation details).

I have already tried the following things but did not worked : 

• Checked /etc/hosts file to make sure that I have the right entries. My hosts file is as follows.

================================================================

127.0.0.1 localhost localhost.localdomain localhost4 localhost4.localdomain4
::1 localhost localhost.localdomain localhost6 localhost6.localdomain6
10.***.*.15 proxy.***.***.com
10.***.*.54 servername servername.***.***.com

================================================================

• Checked that all ports are open and I am getting right hostname and portname when I run python -c 'import socket; print socket.getfqdn(), socket.gethostbyname(socket.getfqdn())'
  • Checked that the ports 7182,9000,9001 are absolutely free and open.
  • The Only warning message in the log file is '>>[24/Nov/2015 23:50:27 +0000] 3687 MainThread tcp_metrics WARNING File '/proc/net/tcp6' couldn't be opened for tcp statistic collection, error=2 '

We have tried every possible solution mentioned in other related topics. Nothing worked. 

Is there anything else I am missing ?

Vikas

1 REPLY 1
Highlighted

Re: Installation failed. Failed to receive heartbeat from agent.

New Contributor

I was able to resolve this issue on one of our servers by removing its own entry from the /etc/host file. (Later, I found out that the issue was that the IP address in /etc/host did not match the IP of the server.) By removing the entry, the server and Cloudera Manager will get the same IP address from the DNS server.

In your case, please try removing this line from your /etc/host file:

10.***.*.54 servername servername.***.***.com

If you are not using a DNS server, then verify that your server's entry in the /etc/host file is correct.